PDA

View Full Version : Record Meter Display Error

Carlos Mills
04-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi All,

This is what happens: whenever there is an overload in the record meter display, the record meter that shows the red light is not the overloaded one, but the one to the right it. I wonder if this could be a Shade Problem? I am using LCDStylePRO. Anybody else notes this?
I searched in the forum and did not find any reference to this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Bob L
04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
I have not seen that one before... been using the system on many live recording gigs and tthe meters have worked perfect... any peaks have shown on the correct display.

You could try using one of my shades like the contemporary or just the default vintage basic for a moment and find out if that's it... but I doubt it... the meter code does not depend on the shade for alignment to the proper meter... as far as I can see.

It sounds more like perhaps one of your input connections or device setups is backwards and the input you think should be in one place is on the next input.

Bob L

Carl G.
05-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi All,

This is what happens: whenever there is an overload in the record meter display, the record meter that shows the red light is not the overloaded one, but the one to the right it. I wonder if this could be a Shade Problem? I am using LCDStylePRO. Anybody else notes this?
I searched in the forum and did not find any reference to this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Carlos, my record meter overlights work OK here - both Left and Right.
I'm running one of "Dave's" shades which I further modified for my own use (largely based off the Contemporary shade of SS)

Carlos Mills
05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your fast reply. The problem is not with the input connections for sure. After perceiving the clips, I followed the behavior more carefully and I could see that the "other" channel gets the red light, instead of the one that was overloaded...
I was reading the thread about dual cores... In fact I am using a dual core system and did not have enough time to do any tweak to the OS before recording... might this be it? :confused:

I have not seen that one before... been using the system on many live recording gigs and tthe meters have worked perfect... any peaks have shown on the correct display.

You could try using one of my shades like the contemporary or just the default vintage basic for a moment and find out if that's it... but I doubt it... the meter code does not depend on the shade for alignment to the proper meter... as far as I can see.

It sounds more like perhaps one of your input connections or device setups is backwards and the input you think should be in one place is on the next input.

Bob L

Bob L
05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow... how do I duplicate this behavior? How are you assigning the meters... stereo inputs... mono inputs... how about you device assignments in the Audio Setup dialog... could the devices be assigned in a reverse order?

Bob L

Carlos Mills
05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Bob,

The DAW is at the Theater where the program is recorded, so I don't have access to it all the time.
Configuration is: Asus Mobo, Intel dual core 1.8, 2 GB RAM DDR II, Sata II HD, 2 RME DIGI 9652, etc.
I use Mono Inputs From the ADA8000 (Device 1/L; Device 1/R and so on); usually from 24 to 40 tracks, one video monitor (I scroll throw the recording meters regularly in order to see them all the time). I use a Stereo Track (MIX) to do a L/R monitor copy of the show, using EQ, dyn etc. I feed them directly from a Stereo Device. All Eqs are assigned post Dyn. Some Mixer-channels are assigned post EQ/DYN. I think this is it.
MME driver; buffer size at 128 (RME) and 3x256 (6x256) in SS.
I think this is it?

Wow... how do I duplicate this behavior? How are you assigning the meters... stereo inputs... mono inputs... how about you device assignments in the Audio Setup dialog... could the devices be assigned in a reverse order?

Bob L

UpTilDawn
05-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Bob,

The DAW is at the Theater where the program is recorded, so I don't have access to it all the time.
Configuration is: Asus Mobo, Intel dual core 1.8, 2 GB RAM DDR II, Sata II HD, 2 RME DIGI 9652, etc.
I use Mono Inputs From the ADA8000 (Device 1/L; Device 1/R and so on); usually from 24 to 40 tracks, one video monitor (I scroll throw the recording meters regularly in order to see them all the time). I use a Stereo Track (MIX) to do a L/R monitor copy of the show, using EQ, dyn etc. I feed them directly from a Stereo Device. All Eqs are assigned post Dyn. Some Mixer-channels are assigned post EQ/DYN. I think this is it.
MME driver; buffer size at 128 (RME) and 3x256 (6x256) in SS.
I think this is it?

You mention that you're scrolling through the record meters frequently... Sounds like you have them bunched up in a small configuration, or you monitor/resolution isn't allowing you to see very many meters at one time.

I've never experienced this behavior in all the live recording I've done, but could this possibly be related to display issues? I've certainly had screen redraw problems in my portable rig when I was using my old vga card and monitor.

Or is there a chance that this setup has some cross-talk or electrical noise issue going on? Is this a theater you do a lot of recording at?

Just throwing out an idea,
DanT

Carlos Mills
05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Dan,

The Rec Meters are spread across the 17" LCD Monitor (resolution is set at 1280 x 1024, as far as I remember).
I record at this Theater every weak.

Important: I saw that the overloaded track did not lit the red (overload) light in the proper recording meter track, but the one right next to it instead. Also, the "Clear Current Rec Meter Peaks" do not turn it down where the light is. Only the "Clear All Rec Meter Peaks" do.

Thanks for your post, Dan.
I hope Bob manage to duplicate this behavior.

All the best,

You mention that you're scrolling through the record meters frequently... Sounds like you have them bunched up in a small configuration, or you monitor/resolution isn't allowing you to see very many meters at one time.
I've never experienced this behavior in all the live recording I've done, but could this possibly be related to display issues? I've certainly had screen redraw problems in my portable rig when I was using my old vga card and monitor.
Or is there a chance that this setup has some cross-talk or electrical noise issue going on? Is this a theater you do a lot of recording at?
Just throwing out an idea,
DanT

Bob L
05-03-2008, 04:57 PM
My tests work as they should... I even tried re-ordering the tracks and the meters still work correctly... the clear meter command sounds like it is picking up the wrong meter also... I have no idea how to duplicate this.

What happens if you start a fresh edl... arm just the first and second tracks for record and see if these work correctly.

Bob L

jazzboxmaker
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Carlos,
I've had problems with channels getting switched in a corrupt EDL before. Bob's fresh EDL suggestion has worked for me

Carlos Mills
05-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Bob,

Next Monday I will try a new fresh EDL and see how things go... Would you recommend to turn the saved prf to the default one?

My tests work as they should... I even tried re-ordering the tracks and the meters still work correctly... the clear meter command sounds like it is picking up the wrong meter also... I have no idea how to duplicate this.

What happens if you start a fresh edl... arm just the first and second tracks for record and see if these work correctly.

Bob L

Bob L
05-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Well... it always helps to start with a fresh everything when trying to chase down a problem... then work your way up.

Bob L

Carlos Mills
05-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi Jazz,

Ok, I will try this route... Thanks for your post.

Carlos,
I've had problems with channels getting switched in a corrupt EDL before. Bob's fresh EDL suggestion has worked for me