PDA

View Full Version : export regions as soundfiles

Grekim
05-08-2008, 04:41 AM
I just wanted to make sure that when you do this operation, the new files are at the original sample rate, bit depth and length of the choosen regions. In other words, the bit depth, Fs, or trimming of regions in the MT has no effect? Thanks!

Grekim
05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Looks like only trimming has an effect.

Bob L
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Exporting regions does just that... copies the region data from the original soundfile to a new one... no changes take place.

The Export Tracks option in the Process/Mixdown menu allows you to place regions on a track and export themk... edited together... as a new soundfile... this option is useful for passing clean track wav files to another DAW... you can use channel processing or not in this option... and you can change rate and bit depth.

Bob L

Grekim
05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Of course it does. That's the function.

When you export a region as soundfile, you create a new soundfile the same length as the current region.

Mark

The reason I was asking is because I am archiving a project for someone and I had done some quick mastering in SAW. The regions were the 24 bit mixes drawn from different project folders. I had trimmed the beginnings and ends of these regions to be close to what the finished product would be. But, for the archive I wanted the untrimmed mixes in the event I cut something too close. So I ended up having to hunt down the original mix files for the archive. No big deal.

Grekim
05-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Exporting regions does just that... copies the region data from the original soundfile to a new one... no changes take place.

The Export Tracks option in the Process/Mixdown menu allows you to place regions on a track and export themk... edited together... as a new soundfile... this option is useful for passing clean track wav files to another DAW... you can use channel processing or not in this option... and you can change rate and bit depth.

Bob L

Thanks

bcorkery
05-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Bob,

Along similar lines, I find myself wanting to export regions as sound files With Processing. Is that something that could be added to the menu?

Presently, I process the entire file and edit from there which doubles the disc space usage. It would be nice be able to work from the original file and export with processing. I know disc space is much cheaper now but I also get better processing results because I'm listening to each file as I edit and can process to taste instead of making a general decision across a 75 minute file.

Thank you for the consideration.

bcorkery
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I do that too. I rename the file, as prescribed by the game developer, and then have to go through the build mix process for hundreds of files. If I could skip that step, name the files, move on and build export to sound files at the end of the editing, that would save a considerable amount of time.

Bob L
05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Bill... as you listen and set the processing for the region... why not just label the track name as the game developer wants... then export the track with procesing... done in one step... then go on to the next... if you label the basic session with the base namne needed, you can then just add the specific name info in the track label...

I am not sure I see why this is more work than batch processing hundreds of regions and then going back to name them as the developer wants... somewhere along the way, you still had to name each one... and in this case listen and set the processing for each one.

Bob L

bcorkery
05-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Bob,

Some developers are a little more efficient than others. On my current project, I have hundreds of characters, each with about 3 or 4 lines each, the naming convention is all over the map with no seeming consistencies in the filename. I probably should have recorded the project differently, but I recorded by talent. Each person came in and did a number of characters, German accent, English accent, Russian accent, Scientist, General, Foot soldier etc. and I recorded by talent to save time instead of pre-naming the tracks and switching as needed as I’d normally do it. (in a normal game)

I guess naming the track would work but I'd have to go through many EDL's to name each file on each track and finding them later would be a lot more work.

Naming the region gives me a reference within the regions view or library all within 1 EDL.

Mark,

With Sound Forge, I might be able to get the job done faster, but aren’t I still doing general processing across the long track?

bcorkery
05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks Mark. I posted the last of the files today. I'll get in touch when I get some time. Things have been pretty slow and I'm spending most of my time Mark-eting. :o heh, heh.

Carl G.
05-15-2008, 01:41 AM
I do a lot of similar work Bill.

At the risk of getting flamed, two words....Sound Forge.

Edit the region, name it, process the region (destructive, but we keep a copy for a quick fix), export the selected regions as soundfiles and the names are maintained....then if further attention is needed, batch convert.

There are other tricks as well.

Mark

*Flame flame :)