PDA

View Full Version : Exciters Maximizers not found in Spam

Stashu
05-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Good news, and Bad news.
The Good News = The new BBE Sonic Maximizer is out!!!! Yeah!!!
The Bad News? = The New BBE Sonic Maximizer uses an iLok!!!

My question? Is there a decent Exciter/Maximizer type plugin, that works well in Saw Studio? I know I can use a decent Mastering Compressor/Limiter, but I like and need the effect that one of these units does naturally.
Before the flames are applied to this thread, let me say that I only use an exciter sparingly, and only for good, not for some distorted evil effect.
I just like to add a small bit of punch to the finished product. We use the TC Master 3x at work to polish our final mix.
I'm just looking for suggestions on what works best in Saw (without the 'Big Brother' iLok)

studio-c
05-17-2008, 12:19 PM
The DSP-FX package contains a plug called an Aural Activator. Basically that same sound. Others have mentioned other plugs, you might search it. The rest of the DSPFX bundle is kind of primitive and oldschool. But I will use that one plug as a buss effect, just dialing it in judiciously to add sizzle to voiceover tracks and make them pop from the background music and fx. Pretty inexpensive as I recall.

Not to be too much of a shill, but I just searched and found a testimonial that mentions the BBE.

"I love the DSP-FX Aural Activator plug-in - it crushes BBE's and Aphex for bringing dead tracks to life."
(Andrew C. Bell - cakewalk.audio)

Himhui
05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
The "Character" of Noveltech from TC powercore is pretty good.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/audiofanet_en/normal/4/6/46927.jpg

AudioAstronomer
05-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Character can be quite extreme, far more than BBE and clones... sometimes good, most of the time annoying :o

Tim Miskimon
05-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Not to be too much of a shill, but I just searched and found a testimonial that mentions the BBE.

"I love the DSP-FX Aural Activator plug-in - it crushes BBE's and Aphex for bringing dead tracks to life."
(Andrew C. Bell - cakewalk.audio)

I'm wondering if he's talking about the cheaper Aphex Exciter.
The high-end version which I bought back in the late 80s for about $1200 still sounds great when not over used.
The cheaper Aphex doesn't sound anything like it's big brother.

Himhui
05-17-2008, 08:10 PM
I agreed...but the big knob in the middle can act like an wet/dry which can be useful for controlling the portion...

I like the Aural Activator as well, we can choose the even/odd harmonics of desired range with different distorted amount.

Bruce Callaway
05-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Warning about DSP FX if you have a dual core system. I have owned DSP FX plugins for a long time and the Aural Exciter is one of the more usable plugins.

However since I upgraded to a Dual CPU system, I cannot register the plugins as the registration numbers do not work anymore. The problem is that their registration tool and the plugins both have a different machine ID. I emailed DSP FX about it a long time ago and after a couple of months I got a reply saying they agree they have a problem and they are working on it. No news since and I am not holding my breath.....

Lance
05-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I just installed my DSP/FX plugs on a Core2 Laptop and had no problems.

Lance