PDA

View Full Version : MacBook/Boot Camp/XP/SAC

IraSeigel
05-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Is anyone trying this? Bob, have you tested this combination?

Ira

AudioAstronomer
05-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I am running a macbook pro at 1x64 for many hours at a time.

Have ran it in front of hundreds with no issues. Also run sawstudio for events that need to be recorded.

The macbook should run OK depending on your interface. I have ran twice on a macbook and it went fine.

See my posts in the sawstudio forum for more information on setting up the mac well.

rpeeples
06-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm a longtime SAW/SAWStudio user who's been away for years and now thinking about coming back -- but I'm now running a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo. I'd think about running Logic, but tiny budget and I'd have to learn a whole new program, so...

You seem to have figured out how to run SAWstudio on your Mac... what's the best way to do it?

BTW, I currently have an M-audio MobilePre USB stereo interface (thinking about going with some kind of USB surround solution soon), and the Mac has 4GB of RAM.

Also... what is SAC?

Thanks,

Rick Peeples

HapHazzard
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm a longtime SAW/SAWStudio user who's been away for years and now thinking about coming back -- but I'm now running a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo. I'd think about running Logic, but tiny budget and I'd have to learn a whole new program, so...

You seem to have figured out how to run SAWstudio on your Mac... what's the best way to do it?

BTW, I currently have an M-audio MobilePre USB stereo interface (thinking about going with some kind of USB surround solution soon), and the Mac has 4GB of RAM.

Also... what is SAC?

Thanks,

Rick PeeplesYou have been away:eek:

http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com/

Watch the videos

Hap

rpeeples
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Ah yes, the console. That's how long I've been gone, I only remember rumors that Bob was working on such a beast at the time.

Thanks, Hap

AudioAstronomer
06-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Also... what is SAC?

Thanks,

Rick Peeples

Do you want to run SS in OS X, or just on your mac. The best way to do it is to re-partition using Boot Camp Assistant (it does it live, all your data will stay intact) and installing windows.

If you want to run it in OS X, you can do so using crossover games. You would need to setup jack and do some fiddling with the crossover audio drivers, and the performance is not terribly great.

It will also run in vmware or parallels, but if you're going to run windows you may as well boot camp it.

Boot camp is the way to go.

I've been using the same MBP for almost 4 years now, and it's never let me down. It runs sawstudio awesomely.

rpeeples
06-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Great, thanks for the info, Boot Camp it is.

Rick

Seven
07-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi.
I am trying to run SAC on my Macbook Pro (Non Unibody 2008 Model; C2D 2x2,5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM...)
I made a Bootcamp Installation with Windows XP Home and the Parallels Tools. Is it possible to run SAC with the Home Version or do I need the Pro Version?

I did all Tweaks Bob listed in this document. furthermore i did many more tweaks (killed many services, lots of registry entries, etc). The system seems to be running very fast and stable.

I use a RME HDSP Expresscard with a RME Digiface and 3 Behringer ADA 8000 Preamps.

After all SAC has about 10 slipped out buffers in about 3 Minutes while my load is about 1-3***37;. Buffersize = 64. Preload Buffers = 2.
Setting the Buffersize to 128 and Preload Buffers to 2 --> 1 Slipped Buffer every 2-3 Minutes running 24 Inputs plus Dynamics & EQs --> 12% System Load.

Any hints for using sac with macbook / bootcamp / xp?
thx
Seven

Wurst Werner
07-19-2010, 12:16 AM
@Seven: Good to see you here man! Another German SAC Addict:D
Sorry, no experience here with Mac, hope someone can chime in to this topic.

Cheers
Christian

Bob L
07-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Try setting the Force Single CPU option in SAC on the Options menu... that may stop the slipped buffers.

Also... check to see if it is video interaction... try doing multiple F-Key presses (do you have F-Keys on a Mac?)... then see if the slipped buffers are linked to the video display.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi.
I am trying to run SAC on my Macbook Pro (Non Unibody 2008 Model; C2D 2x2,5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM...)
I made a Bootcamp Installation with Windows XP Home and the Parallels Tools. Is it possible to run SAC with the Home Version or do I need the Pro Version?

I did all Tweaks Bob listed in this document. furthermore i did many more tweaks (killed many services, lots of registry entries, etc). The system seems to be running very fast and stable.

I use a RME HDSP Expresscard with a RME Digiface and 3 Behringer ADA 8000 Preamps.

After all SAC has about 10 slipped out buffers in about 3 Minutes while my load is about 1-3%. Buffersize = 64. Preload Buffers = 2.
Setting the Buffersize to 128 and Preload Buffers to 2 --> 1 Slipped Buffer every 2-3 Minutes running 24 Inputs plus Dynamics & EQs --> 12% System Load.

Any hints for using sac with macbook / bootcamp / xp?
thx
Seven

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=591

That thread has the info you need.

Seven
07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
THX A LOT!
Great Product. Great Forum. *thumbsup*

I will set a document including all tweaks I did.
In the end I had to kill the process "bootcamp.exe" and disable die Nvidia Powermizer & Write Combining.

24 Inputs. EQ & Compressor & Gate working in each Channel. 8 Monitormixers with all inputs. ---> SAC Load: 52% --> :):):):):):)

Wurst Werner
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Good to hear:)