PDA

View Full Version : Question On Mix Templates

William Bushnell
05-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm setting up a mix to include FOH plus 5 monitor consoles. The FOH mixer and all 5 monitor mixers have the same 3 sub groups. After setting up the first monitor mixer I would like to copy that monitor's setup to the remaining 4 monitor mixers.

For example in this mix I have 22 channels and 3 sub groups. Once the input and output assignments, aux settings, input levels, ect are set on monitor 1 it would be great to just copy those settings to the remaining monitor mixers so I don't have to start from the beginning for each additional monitor. Just reset any settings not common to all monitors, tweak a few levels and I'm good to go.

The Mix Template Save function appears to be global in that it saves the condition of the FOH mixer as well as all the monitor mixers.

So, is there a way to save a mix template of a single monitor mixer setup and apply that template to additional moniter mixers? If this is possible it would save a lot of time and reduce the chance of missing something in setting the remaining monitors.

I've looked in the help file and the manual and did a search on the forum but didn't find anything related to this question. Have I missed something? Thanks.

Larry Burger
05-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Do not have a complete answer.
You can setup monitor 1 then select monitor 2 right mouse in the monitor selection box and copy faders, eq. and a few items.

Bob L
05-18-2008, 01:47 PM
There are basic level and asignment setting copy functions by right-clicking the Top Titlebar mixer display zone....

But... you can setup monitor 1 and then select all channels and use the channel store/recall options... store all to file... then switch to another monitor console select the same channels and recall from file... this should recall all selected channels from the individual chan templates in one shot.

Bob L

William Bushnell
05-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have used those options and it helps however, these items still have to be set for each monitor mixer.

Input channel strips:
Channel Input Source to L only, R only, ect
AUX Assigns
Out Assigns

Returns:
Patches (In this case reverb)
Assign to output

Outputs:
Setup sub groups and assign to output channel
Assign to output to device

Since all of my monitor settings are very similar, being able to copy a complete monitor mix and paste it to the remaining monitors would greatly speed my setup. I would just have to change those things that are different between each monitor.

My mix is fairly simple, 22 channels with 5 monitor mixers and I can set it up before the gig. I can debug it if things don't work as expected without any time pressures. On the other hand, if I had to setup FOH and monitor mix sessions for several groups live there can be LOT of things to reset for each group. With time constraints the chance that an incorrect setting will occur is very likely, at least for me.

Perhaps an option could be added to the monitor right click drop down menu to copy a complete monitor setup. Just a thought.

Bob I know you have a lot of experience doing live sessions, if I'm missing something and making a lot of extra work for myself I am open to ideas. Anybody else, how would you go about it? Thanks

Bob L
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
The Store All to a file and recall all from file options duplicate every setting on every channel... and what's more it is a one step process for all selected channels.

Select all 32 channels... then use the store all to file option on the alt-right-click menu from any mixer chan... then change to a new mixer and select the same 32 chans (after clearing the original)... then use the recall all to file option... you have instant duplication of every setting on your first mixer.

Bob L

William Bushnell
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information. I still have a lot to learn. I used the "Store All From Channel To File" and "Recall All From File To Channel" functions with some success to duplicate the monitor mixers. The process works for the input channels but I can not get it to work for the return or output channels. This is the proceedure I used.

To Duplicate the Input Channels:
1. Select the input channels on the Monitor Mixer I want to duplicate (I will call it my Master Monitor)
2. Alt right click on a mixer channel to get the menu
3. Click on "Store All From Channel To File", enter a name and click on ok
4. Clear the selected input channels on the Monitor Mixer (Master Monitor) to be duplicated
5. Select the Monitor Mixer (For example Monitor 7) where I want to duplicate the settings from my Master Monitor mixer
6. Select the same input channels as the Master Monitor Mixer
7. Alt right click on a mixer channel to get the menu
8. Click on the "Recall All From File To Channel", select the file name and click enter.
9. The input source, output assignments, aux settings, fader levels, ect are now setup on Monitor Mixer 7. Great.

To Duplicate The Return Channels:
Same proceedure as used for the input channels (Step 1-8) The only return channel that is duplicated (and it does not have to be selected) is the one that happens to be the hot channel. Nothing happens to any of the other selected return channels. If the hot channel happens to an output channel the "Channel Type Mismatch! Current Cell Is A Return Chan" error appears.

To Duplicate The Output Channels:
Same results as the return channels.

Tried to duplicate only the Sub Groups using the same 1-8 steps used for the input channels. None of the Sub Group output channels were duplicated.

Am I missing something? Thanks for you help.

UpTilDawn
05-20-2008, 04:35 PM
... I used the "Store All From Channel To File" and "Recall All From File To Channel" functions with some success to duplicate the monitor mixers. The process works for the input channels but I can not get it to work for the return or output channels. This is the proceedure I used....

Tried to duplicate only the Sub Groups using the same 1-8 steps used for the input channels. None of the Sub Group output channels were duplicated.

If this works as it does in Saw, you should be able to cut this process way down by simply using the channel strip (or whatever mixer) top bar, right-click menu to "Select All". This selects all inputs, returns, outputs and then you will save all channel setting in one operation with the "save to File" process. You can then call them all back the same way.
It doesn't matter wheter or not certain channels are not being used, or set up for anything particular.

I can't help with the sub groups.... no time to explore properly yet.

DanT

William Bushnell
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi Dan,

Yes, I tried that early on but only the input channels were duplicated. The return and output did not get duplicated. That's when I started trying to duplicate the input, return, output, and sub groups individually. Thanks for the reply.

Bob L
05-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Bill... I just tried it in 0.2a and it all seemed to work fine. I selected All channels and stored to file... you do not need to alter the starting name... it will pick up the name of the first selected channel... leave it... and then when you restore with all channels selected... even the returns and outputs restored fine, in cluding patched verb plugins and so forth.

Are you on 0.2a?

Bob L

William Bushnell
05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Bob,

Yes, I'm on 0.2a. Strange that while the inputs configure properly only the hot channel of the returns and outputs get configured. Using the "Select All" function does select all inputs, returns, and outputs so it's not a case of not correctly selecting everything.

I am following the steps listed in my earlier post each time but maybe I have missed something. It should be a simple process. Tomorrow I will start over fresh with a very basic mix with just a few channels and see if I still have the problem. Maybe there is a glitch in the session file although it works fine. Thanks for the help.

Bob L
05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
With all channels selected you should only need to store to file once... the inputs, returns and outputs should store in one pass... and recall in the same manner.

Bob L