PDA

View Full Version : Remote problems

mako
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Hello Bob - I'm having some problems with a remote setup.

2 Acer laptops (core duo and core2 duo). Core 2 duo as master with "onecpu" boot ini.

If I set both m/c's up for TCP/IP then hit the "Live" light, SAC locks up.

If I hit the "Live" light first, then set TCP/IP, things work OK.
-------------
Often there is a very slow response (master update) when operating monitors from the slave.
-------------
A couple of times I've had the cursor get locked in the fader area on a channel. (once on master and once on slave).
------------
When TCP/IP is set up, the remote takes a long time to look for its corresponding file, then gives an error message saying can't find file, maybe it's missing.

Thanks Bob - it's looking very promising.

Bob L
05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Sounds like something may not be correct as far as access rights on the remote... make sure you can connect normally across the network and read and write files from the remote onto the host... you must have proper access rights.

When things are connecting correctly, there should be no perceived slowdown at all on the remote... displays and meters should be instant and in sync.

You should be able to open your session on the host machine... then connect with the remote, which should instantly connect and duplicate the session getting its data from the host... the session files do not need to be on the remote machine.

Bob L

mako
05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
At last, after days of reading and trying different things out, I found the problem. There were some corrupted files in the Broadband/ TCP IP area on the almost new master laptop.

It's now working well and fast, but still no song data being sent to the slave. "Can't find the file" etc.

Anyway I'm glad it's working now, I'm demoing the system on Sunday at a local country music club concert.

It's my plan to use the system for their CM Festival in October.

Thanks Bob

mako

ambler
05-22-2008, 09:28 PM
It's now working well and fast, but still no song data being sent to the slave. "Can't find the file" etc.

Make sure you have 'shared' the folder that contains the session files.

Mark

Bob L
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
As I said before... make sure you can read and write files on the remote in the Windows Explorer before even trying to connect in SAC... you must have read/write access for it to work correctly..

And also note that the scenes are not working on the remote yet... so you may get the file error when trying to use scenes from the remote.

Bob L

mako
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Make sure you have 'shared' the folder that contains the session files.

Mark

Mmm - thanks Mark. I'll check that. How do you do that?

Bob - I can read and write to the OS's "Shared Documents" folder.

Thanks

mako

ambler
05-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Mmm - thanks Mark. I'll check that. How do you do that?

Right click on the folder and choose properties in the popup menu. Select the 'Sharing' tab on the properties dialog box and click on 'share this folder'.The default settings will be fine so just press the 'OK' button. The folder icon should now have a picture of a hand holding the folder.

You can now read and write to that folder and all sub-folders within it. If you have a separate drive for audio stuff you may want to share that whole drive or maybe just one folder, the process is the same. Just remember that everything under the folder you choose will be shared and nothing else will be. You can set up as many different shares as you like.

Mark

mako
05-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks again Mark - it's working perfectly now.

A lovely sight to see :)

This should impress no end tomorrow.

Thanks

mako

Bob L
05-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I share the whole drive on my rigs... that way you can create folders on the fly and do sessions across multiple folders and they all get shared by default.

Bob L

mako
05-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks Bob - maybe a TCP/IP primer would be handy here as it's quite daunting to gather together all the required info for successful networking.

cheers

mako

Bob L
05-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Networking can be pretty simple or very complex... depending... if you simply set Windows on WORKGROUP... not on a domain... and then activate sharing on each drive... connect two machines together thru an inexpensive hub or switch... everything seems to work fine.

The easiest journey seems to be one where the hub is also a DHCP server... such that IP addresses are automatically generated for each machine set to auto when they plug into the hub... otherwise... create an IP address on each machine in the TCP/IP properties of the network card in the Network Settings using the generic 192.168.001.010... then the next at 192.168.1.011... etc... each one incrementing... seems to work most of the time.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
05-24-2008, 11:00 PM
otherwise... create an IP address on each machine in the TCP/IP properties of the network card in the Network Settings using the generic 192.168.001.010... then the next at 192.168.1.011... etc... each one incrementing... seems to work most of the time.FWIW I generally prefer this setup, especially for these 'closed' systems not connected to the internet. I find that by turning off DHCP and assigning IP addresses as Bob suggests, the network responds much more quickly.

mako
05-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Ah - thanks. I'm not using a hub - just a crossed CAT6.

mako

DominicPerry
05-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Make sure you force the network cards of both systems to the same speed - If they do Gbit, choose Gbit, more importantly, if you are using 100Mb/s, force Full Duplex. There is a problem with 'auto-negotiation' which can leave one machine at 100 Full Duplex and the other at 100 Half-duplex. This will cause serious performance problems,. not just with the network but often also with the CPU. It can happen if you use a hub/switch too, the switch can pick the 'wrong' setting.
Gbit is always full duplex, so if one side picks Gbit it will either work or it won't.

Dominic

mako
05-26-2008, 02:23 AM
I'll check for that - thanks Dominic.

cheers

mako

Pedro Itriago
05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I'll check for that - thanks Dominic.

cheers

mako

And if you're using Vista, my condolences because if you ever hit "Diagnose & Repair", that thing will turn on and/or off any network setting it wishes without telling you squat.

Make sure you have netbios over tcp enabled also

DominicPerry
05-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Why?

Dominic

mako
05-26-2008, 11:29 AM
And if you're using Vista, my condolences because if you ever hit "Diagnose & Repair", that thing will turn on and/or off any network setting it wishes without telling you squat.

No Vista - I was very fortunate to get a recent Acer Extensa 5620 with XP Pro.

Thanks Pedro

cheers

mako

Pedro Itriago
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Why?

Dominic

The NetBIOS API allows applications on separate computers to communicate over a local area network. In modern networks, it normally runs over TCP/IP (NetBIOS over TCP/IP, or NBT), giving each computer in the network both a NetBIOS name and an IP address corresponding to a (possibly different) host name. Older operating systems ran NetBIOS over IPX/SPX or IEEE 802.2 (NBF).

It is responsible for the discovery of other machines on the networks. A no-no for internet but a necessity on a network if you intend to find other computers. If a program makes the communication for you, you could get away without it. Otherwise, you won't see those computers that have it disabled nor the computer with it disabled may see anything on that network.