PDA

View Full Version : MT and snapping: a couple of questions

RadioGuy73
05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm trying to use SAW to edit interviews. So on the MT, I often have dozens and dozens of short clips and soundbites which I have to arrange and fit together like audio puzzle pieces.

When moving clips around on the MT, is there an easy way to get them to "snap" together, so the ends of various clips automatically splice with each other?

Also, if I have large number of split-up audio clips scattered on the MT, is there some feature that will automatically make them all "jump" together, end to end, instead of me having to manually move them around til they are lined up one right after another?

sebastiandybing
05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Are you doing the editing from scratch in saw ?
or are you importing a lot of small files into the timeline ?

If you do start with one big region on the timeline its easy.
place the cursor at a outpoint - hit "K", place the cursor at the
in point and hit "D", saw will then split the file and move the right part
of the in point to aline with the outpoint.
This is super fast.

Sebastian

Arco
05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
[quote=RadioGuy73;87224]
When moving clips around on the MT, is there an easy way to get them to "snap" together, so the ends of various clips automatically splice with each other?
quote]

No, not like an "auto-combine" feature.

How bout this:

edit all your regions as you want them.
then export regions as files to a new folder.
then use Library window to import them into a new edl one after the other..you'll have to get the order in the Lib window correct, but it should work.

Bob L
05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
The regions will auto snap together just by pushing them into each other... you do not have to zoom in... push one region into the other and overlap slightly and when you let go, they will be perfectly spliced.

There are many variations in editing region boundaries that can make voice editing a breeze... and don't forget to learn about softedges.

Once you have finised all the splices and are happy with the final playback... then use the buildmix to new soundfile to create a final standard wav file that will playback anywhere.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
If you haven't already done so, read (and re-read) the helpfile section "MultiTrack Editing And Control - WaveForm Display Area" Pay particular attention to modifier key commands (such as shift-del) that automatically pull butt-spliced entries forward, overwrite entries etc. Once mastered, these commands can save many clicks and keystrokes on large projects.

Also, if I have large number of split-up audio clips scattered on the MT, is there some feature that will automatically make them all "jump" together, end to end, instead of me having to manually move them around til they are lined up one right after another?The closest thing to this concept would be the Select Mode use of the backspace and arrow keys. Select a region(s) and use these keys to snap the selection(s) to the cursor location. This way you aren't dragging a bunch of regions around, you tab through your existing regions and 'snap' selected entries to the cursor.

Remember the right-click options on the Select Mode button in the MT. These are for saving and recalling groups of regions while in Select Mode.

HTH

RadioGuy73
05-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all the great and speedy replies! I'm amazed at how SAW really is versatile. Bob, I didn't realize I could just push the clips together and make them snap like that; that's exactly what I needed.

RadioGuy73
05-22-2008, 07:41 AM
If you haven't already done so, read (and re-read) the helpfile section "MultiTrack Editing And Control - WaveForm Display Area" Pay particular attention to modifier key commands (such as shift-del) that automatically pull butt-spliced entries forward, overwrite entries etc. Once mastered, these commands can save many clicks and keystrokes on large projects.

I'll have to do that, thanks!

RadioGuy73
05-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Are you doing the editing from scratch in saw

My workflow is, bring the entire interview (often 20-45 minutes long) as one big file in Soundfile view. I then mark regions w/names that explain exactly what the person is saying--i.e., "Joe talks about touring," "Joe explains why the new album is so much longer than the old album," "Joe talks about yesterday's show," etc. I then put all the regions up on the MT and start chopping and rearranging them until I've got it down to a few minutes' worth of good soundbites and then I add and splice in my V.O.

Bob L
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
You may also want to simply place the original soundfile on the MT and then just listen and cut out what you don't want with the K, D, and R key options... you can also mark and instantly delete and force the ends to splice together removing the chunks you don't want... no naming... no region marking and creating... all listen and chop... listen and chop... the end result is already spliced... do a few softedges... then eq and add your voice over... and build mix... I would have to say... nothing is as fast as this method for this type of editing... if you know how it all works.

Bob L

DominicPerry
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Isn't this what the library views are good for - a whole list of sound-bites which you can click on to hear, then insert with one keypress into the MT.

Dominic

Naturally Digital
05-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Isn't this what the library views are good for - a whole list of sound-bites which you can click on to hear, then insert with one keypress into the MT.No Dom. He's starting out with one big wav file. You would use the Regions View as you describe.

DominicPerry
05-22-2008, 11:49 AM
No Dom. He's starting out with one big wav file. You would use the Regions View as you describe.

Oh. :o Shows how often I use the Library and Region windows.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh. :o Shows how often I use the Library and Region windows.

Dominic

Library View? Regions View? How do you get to those in SAW? What do they do? It's amazing how I just keep coming across these gems, even years into the 'ride'. I know RTFM. :o

Arco
05-23-2008, 01:56 PM
My workflow is, bring the entire interview (often 20-45 minutes long) as one big file in Soundfile view..

Much faster to work in MT view...read over what BobL said. SF view is good for fine tuning, creating new regions from files, etc., but editing is much faster in MT view.