PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought about display text

UpTilDawn
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I haven't really had the time or need to explore all the possibilities of using the monitor mixers at all, but after reading a few comments by others about their experiences and poking around a bit in the mixer views today I have a request.

I know that the different mixers are identified in the main window display, but I think it could be very helpful to include some short identifier in the channel labels themselves that indicate which mixer is being viewed at the time.

For instance, when in the Wide Mixer and having changed from the FOH mixer to Monitor 1 mixer, the display changes to the same channel selection that is current in the previous mixer (say if Output1 is selected in FOH and the view is changed to Monitor1, then the Output1 channel is brought up in Monitor1).

In the case of the Output channel, there is an immediate, if subtle, change to the mixer display itself and triggers an response to be aware of what channel is being adjusted. However, Input channels "look" the same from mixer to mixer... at least when they are blank. In the heat of the moment, or if your attention is drawn away from the console for a few moments, this could be confusing and lead to many wrong settings before you realize you're adjusting the wrong mixer.

I know it's important to make sure that you are aware of what you're doing, but in the physical console world adjusting settings on the wrong mixer is pretty much more difficult to do by accident.

Just an idea to consider.
danT

Bob L
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Well... in the physical world you usually don't have multiple mixers setup in front of you... so there is no issue of adjusting the wrong one. :)

With the added power comes more responsibility also...

The mixer changing does retain the current hot channel as you switch to the different mixers and there is a slight visual difference between FOH and monitor mixers on all channels... but...

I am considering other visual cues to help keep your focus about which mixer you are adjusting... unfortunately... the full mixer view does not have room to expand on the channel numbering display... so I am experimenting with other options.

To be honest... it did not take me long to adapt once I started testing SAC in the field... you will develop a method that works for you... now noticing which mixer you are adjusting is just one item that wil become an automatic detail you pay attention to... in the end... I would bet you will adapt very quickly as I did... its really no harder than adapting to anything new introduced into your normal routine. :)

Bob L

UpTilDawn
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Understood... It's more for keeping your eyes on the area of focus than anything else.

DanT