PDA

View Full Version : Direct outs ?

bjoern
05-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Hello Bob,
I love this piece of software and my band is testing it to use it as "aviom alternative" for personal monitoring and it turns out to work much better (each musican having a REAL mixer....). My question is: when we have all the SAC system on stage (ada8000 pc etc) is there a way we can send all the channels out to a existing FOH desk (you know like with pre fader direct outs) ? In my understanding I have only 8 "real outputs" on the SAC console, so no way to do do it with 24 channels or an I missing something ?
Björn

mako
05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Bjoern - seems like you're reverse engineering the SAC system, but if you have the I/O you can send up to 72 channels - though something keeps tapping my brain to say there's a physical "one system" limit at 48.
Can't remember why though.

Good luck

mako

Bob L
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
BJorn... no need to send audio data to FOH... just use another computer as the FOH Remote... you mix from the front of house position, but the hardware stays backstage....

Or... put the system out front and then use a remote computer to mix monitors from stage... or do it all from FOH position, and feed 24 more monitor mixes back to stage...

The FOH has 8 stero masters out for handling most any PA need for multiple zones and surround mixing and so forth... but then you also have 24 more consoles... each with 4 stereo masters out to handle multiple monitor feeds to 24 separate monitor positions.

The 72 input signals are split internally as if you had a very expensive (actually non-existant I believe) 25 way mic splitter box... the signals stay in the one box... and you can route them in a multitude of ways to up to 72 outputs... all depending on your hardware configuration.

Right at the moment, the remote mode code is not complete and has many more features to be written in in order to do what you are attempting to do... which is to give each performer remote control of their very own complete mixer... but unlike the Aviom system... we do not have to send audio data to each mix position... we are simply remote controlling the software to do the mix... all audio stays in the main computer rig.

Bob L

bjoern
05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
hi again,
thank you for the fast answer!!!!

I understand this, my question was in the following context:

we (the musicans) do sometimes gigs where we're in charge of the PA with our own sound engeneer and there your scenario would work. But sometimes we play at places where there is alreday a PA with a sound engeneer and i can hardly tell him "look if we play you have to use my SAC". So my question was if there was a possibility to split all channels back to annalog and use SAC only for our (the musicans) sound, in fact give the local FOH engeener all our channels and let him do with it what ever he wants..

I know that the idea behind SAC is not what i try to do but if possible it would be cool.

Bob L
05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Yes... use a stage snake splitter box.... or... better yet... feed a few submixes back to the house mixer console and you still control all the basics..

You can still maintain control of your basic sound by sending a set a submixes to the house engineer and allowing him limited control.

If you truly want to split all mic signals... carry your own splitter box and tap off the mic signals for your SAC feed, leaving the original signals still connected to the FOH in-house console.

Any outs require a soundcard device... so there would need to be an out device used for every direct out... if I did that... there would be none left for the rest of the SAC Outs... I see no real point in having SAC become an active single mic splitter... splitter boxes already exist for that purpose.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Hello Bob,
I love this piece of software and my band is testing it to use it as "aviom alternative" for personal monitoring and it turns out to work much better (each musican having a REAL mixer....). My question is: when we have all the SAC system on stage (ada8000 pc etc) is there a way we can send all the channels out to a existing FOH desk (you know like with pre fader direct outs) ? In my understanding I have only 8 "real outputs" on the SAC console, so no way to do do it with 24 channels or an I missing something ?
BjörnBjoern, you could do this with a front-end mixer like totalmix (RME). If you are using an RME, Soundscape, Lynx or other soundcard that includes it's own DSP mixing software then you set up direct outs there, using 24 of the outputs in your ada8000's. The direct outs will not include any of your EQ or FX from SAC (it will be a direct split, similar to using the hardware splitter but at line level). If you are only using 3 ada8000's and need 24 direct outs, then you may be looking at another soundcard and an additional ada8000 (or other DAC) to feed your existing monitor mixes. Using Totalmix, this would all happen 'ahead' of SAC and would use almost no CPU power from the machine.

A transformer splitter (snake) is also a good way to go. It is also possible to use a passive (no transformers) splitter in some situations but you need to make sure you only supply phantom power from one source (your ada8000's OR the FOH mixer, not both).

If you're using RME and have enough output DAC channels then you're golden.