PDA

View Full Version : SAW Studio Vrs. SAW PRO

inorbitprods
06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm the creative services director for a group of radio stations and do a massive amount of freelance prod from home using SAWPRO. I fell in love with the SAW interface years ago and it is far and away my favorite audio editing software.

Problem is: a recent fire at my storage facility destroyed my SAWPRO folio with my registration serial number, floppies etc.

I have SAWPRO loaded on my main workstation... so there's no immediate problem. But I worry about the day that I have a catastrophic computer failure and other issues the may creep up over time.

My question is: How similar is SAW STUDIO and SAWPRO... are the keyboard shortcuts and the interface basically the same? If the learning curve between the old software and the upgrade is minimal I will move to SAW STUDIO in a heartbeat.

If not... what are the options for further support for SAWPRO?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dave Labrecque
06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm the creative services director for a group of radio stations and do a massive amount of freelance prod from home using SAWPRO. I fell in love with the SAW interface years ago and it is far and away my favorite audio editing software.

Problem is: a recent fire at my storage facility destroyed my SAWPRO folio with my registration serial number, floppies etc.

I have SAWPRO loaded on my main workstation... so there's no immediate problem. But I worry about the day that I have a catastrophic computer failure and other issues the may creep up over time.

My question is: How similar is SAW STUDIO and SAWPRO... are the keyboard shortcuts and the interface basically the same? If the learning curve between the old software and the upgrade is minimal I will move to SAW STUDIO in a heartbeat.

If not... what are the options for further support for SAWPRO?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

1 I think you can probably still get a copy of SAW Pro from Bob, if you can show you're a registered user.

2 All you really need to do is save a backup copy of your SAW folder somewhere. I don't think you actually need the install EXE file. It may be a little more complicated that that, but not much.

3 SAWStudio is a quantum leap in features and function over SAW Pro. The interface is completely new. That said, some of the old philosophies have carried through. I would say that you'd be crazy not to move up to Studio. ;)

I'd say the learning curve is not too awful. Especially if you're using it every day, you'll catch on pretty quickly. I put off the move the Studio (though I had already bought it) for way too long for fear of the learning curve. Don't. :)

CurtZHP
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I made the transition from Pro to Studio and it was relatively painless. A good move too!

Bob L
06-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Just contact me with an email and your registered name and info and I will send you back your download information... you cn download the last SAWPro version....

But... the move up to SAWStudioBasic is easy and the resulting features and performance differences are drastic... do not fear the changes.... embrace them... they are there for improvement only... and the audio quality difference is huge... SAWPro is old technology... Studio is extremely current and still evolving.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I waited a while after SS came out to upgrade from PRO. The mix capabilities of SS are a BIG step up, and even the editing has more features (without sacrificing any of the speed and convenience). The transition was easier than I expected, partly because the way Studio works is more like what I got used to when I learned on the "big iron" of the old-fashioned analog desk.

Arco
06-07-2008, 05:57 PM
It takes some time to adjust but you will not regret it. Once you get the hang of the ideas behind SAWStudio, Pro becomes a quick memory...like an old crush you've gotten over.

Dan Hauck
06-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I understand. I stayed with SAWPro for at least a year after Studio came out because I'd gotten so fast with it. I had to stumble around with Studio for a week or so, but after I got used to it, IT IS SO COOL! I don't know how I ever functioned without automation like this. I fix things every day that I'd have thought impossible a few years ago. Take the plunge!

inorbitprods
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be jumping into the deep end of SAW Studio very quickly. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.