PDA

View Full Version : s/mux and light pipe Q

Bud Johnson
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
My question is to specifics on how one records in higher sample rates. I understand I would need a converter box capable of this. Then say I assign output to adat 1+2.
What do I need on the computer side to reassemble this into a 88.2-24 Bit audio stream?
I have a "hammerfall" 9652 (came under Nuendo brand) which shows no signs of wanting to or being capable of this. It's pre-HDSP. Is that what's missing?
I'm looking at some ADDA s that would have this capability. Plus I've always wondered.
Thanks

Naturally Digital
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Bud, that will work fine. You'll have 4 channels per lightpipe cable instead of 8.

Bud Johnson
06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Bud, that will work fine. You'll have 4 channels per lightpipe cable instead of 8.
Ok, but how do I assign inputs in SS. Unless the driver behaves differently than now, it will only record Adat 1 into one channel (which would be 1/2 of the data). Do you see where I'm stuck?

DominicPerry
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
When you up the sample rate, the RME cards 'advertise' fewer inputs/outputs. So you need to change the sample rate and then go back and change your Options -> Audio Device Setup.

Dominic

Bud Johnson
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
When you up the sample rate, the RME cards 'advertise' fewer inputs/outputs. So you need to change the sample rate and then go back and change your Options -> Audio Device Setup.

Dominic
Gotcha, and thanks!
My Hammerfall has no options for anything above 48K when set to master. Do HDSP9652 cards? I'm thinking it's a legacy card. Currently I have no 88.2 or 96k clock source to feed it and find out.

DominicPerry
06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Bud,

HDSP9652 will definitely run at 96KHz and use S/Mux - halving the number of channels.
from the RME website "S/MUX poured in hardware: 12 channels 24-Bit/96kHz for record and playback on ADAT optical"
Not sure where 'poured' comes from, but it does it :D.
I'm not surprised that the older cards might not.
Watch out for S/Mux compatibility with your convertors too - the ADA8000 only goes to 48KHz, and some of the Presonus and Focusrite stuff as well.

Dominic

Bud Johnson
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Bud,

HDSP9652 will definitely run at 96KHz and use S/Mux - halving the number of channels.
from the RME website "S/MUX poured in hardware: 12 channels 24-Bit/96kHz for record and playback on ADAT optical"
Not sure where 'poured' comes from, but it does it :D.
I'm not surprised that the older cards might not.
Watch out for S/Mux compatibility with your convertors too - the ADA8000 only goes to 48KHz, and some of the Presonus and Focusrite stuff as well.

Dominic
As I thought, Thank you much.
I now pronounce this a deadthread!

DominicPerry
06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Bud,

Is your card a Digi9652 - if so thisis the manual for your card?

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/9652e.pdf

If so, it looks like you might be in luck - this is the 2002 manual, it says that it supports 96KHz on ADAT.

Have a look maybe.

Dominic

aludra
06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Indeed the pre-HDSP RME cards will do 96k s/mux as that is what I use everyday. Since you said your using the nuendo version of the card I suspect it could be a driver issue....go to RME website and look for the driver 2.11. Also get a manual for the older hammerfall cards so you can see the new channel assignments. Once you have changed the samplerate in SAW it will then show up in the little green rme driver icon that you are at 96k. Also download digicheck...A great little utility Hope that helps
Mike

UpTilDawn
06-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Gotcha, and thanks!
My Hammerfall has no options for anything above 48K when set to master. Do HDSP9652 cards? I'm thinking it's a legacy card. Currently I have no 88.2 or 96k clock source to feed it and find out.

Maybe the RME setup window will show 88.2 and 96 when you attach a capable device to the soundcard.

DanT

Bud Johnson
06-07-2008, 09:31 AM
This is excellent news. I run ver 2.11. Never tried setting to master and setting SS as 96k.
Very cool, and as always many thanks.
Now to get a 96k source!