PDA

View Full Version : Library import file name ?

sebastiandybing
06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
When I use the Import file in the Library window, I am always
wondering why I have to manually give the file a name.
To me it seems more logical to use the original file name.
Is there a reasn for this:confused:

I often use the Link button instead and then export the regions as files,
but it would be easyer to just import to local hd, in one pass.

Sebastian

MMP
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
The file you name is reused for all regions that you import later. Saw uses one import file per sample rate/bit rate per EDL.

This can be useful in compiling sound effects libraries. You could have one base file "cars" with multiple imported regions "horn", "door close", "wipers", etc.

Regards,

MM

Bob L
06-11-2008, 04:21 PM
The import function can create multiple regions into one wav file which makes it easy to import data from different libraries or sessions and combine them all into the current session in one larger file. This is much more efficient, especailly when importing hundreds or more of separate sound effect files from multiple sources.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
06-12-2008, 02:18 AM
I do see its a smart function if Saw is the only software in use.
But in this case the sound efx library is used by many difference sound folks and not all of them use Saw.
If someone wants to edit or just use another app. for playback it
would be nice to be able to imprort to distination with org. file name and as individual files.

Maybe a shift click import could do it:D

Sebastian

Bob L
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
If you need to transfer individual files as they already exist... a simple copy in the Windows explorer will do the trick... it needs have nothing to do with SAW at that point.

The design is based on using SAWStudio in the most efficient manner... and even later... its a very easy operation to select the regions you have imported and separate them out with the export regions command if you do need to send them off to others.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, but windows explore does not have the librarys smart seek function
where I just hit letters and it instantly jump to the files.

But anyway I will tel them to use explore.

Sebasian