PDA

View Full Version : SAW input monitoring while SAC link is active

DominicPerry
06-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Bob, can I suggest that you auto-disable SAW's input monitoring when the SAC link is active - I know it needs to be turned off, but it would be a little icing on the cake - to go with the rest of the icing. I don't want to appear ungrateful, it's just a suggestion, I know you've been coding hard. :)

Dominic

Bob L
06-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes... realized I did not auto off that option... in fact there might be other background stuff I wil want to do similar with as this gets a little air play from everybody.

More to come... but I wanted to get this much out to the users.

Bob L

Iain Westland
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
im looking to use sac as thus

pres in / out for tallent

pres in to saw

saw out to monitor

i need input always on to only listen back through sac

UpTilDawn
06-13-2008, 05:55 PM
im looking to use sac as thus

pres in / out for tallent

pres in to saw

saw out to monitor

i need input always on to only listen back through sac

Why do you need to monitor through SAW? I don't understand.
DanT

Iain Westland
06-14-2008, 12:44 AM
i need to listen to what i am recording, i might want to put a HPF on the drum overheads as i record so i want to juggle where that is, as far as i can see SAW pulls its info from the top of the SAC mixer rather than post EQ/Dynamics.

so i want to be able to hear exactly what i am recording, and to pass that info back into SAC i need input monitor always on. after all why have a sports car and stick to the speed limit.

it would be nice to have the Hooks movable in the SAC=>SAW direction for studio work, this is my idea of a workaround.

please feel free to point out a more elegant solution, but please dont comment on my MO, it earns me money and the local Metal/Punk/Rock bands like the results/cost ratio;)

Iain

Bob L
06-14-2008, 01:31 AM
You might wish you had recorded flat once you have over eq'd something during recording one time.

The idea is to record flat... eq all you want from SAC as you listen and feed monitor mixes to the performers... then when it comes time to mix... that is when you want to make your processing decisions... at least that seems to be the best way to stay out of trouble.

Bob L

Iain Westland
06-14-2008, 03:41 AM
it seems that i cant make that decission with sac anyway:confused: the hooks are at sac input not post eq/dynamics and saw records direct from the hooks.

shame as i like to have a little bit of comp on to catch transients, there are things i will do as soon as i start mixing (HPF and LPF according to where the sonics of an instrument sit) that i like to print at point of record. im not talking effects so much as general house keeping.

loving the program otherwise though

Iain Westland
06-14-2008, 04:37 AM
just want to reiterate, this is an awesome addition to the line!!!! really really impressed with just what i can do on this internet box at home!! i cant wait to get into the studio tomorrow night and start pacing it!!!:D:D:D:D

Iain

Bob L
06-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Putting software comps on the input to catch the peaks serves you no purpose whatsoever... you will get exactly the same results after the fact when you mix....

Input compressors can only help you if they are in front of the soundcard inputs... once the signal is digitized, any peaks that would cause you problems have already clipped the input circuitry of the soundcard or mic pres... so you gain nothing by recording with the comp in line... in fact... you cause yourself grief if later you decide you over did the compression... now you are stuck.

Bob L

Iain Westland
06-14-2008, 09:32 AM
The metering options are superb, but could we get a global set of switches at the top of the F mixer? or preferably some keyboard short cuts:D to change on the fly?

again just a request for the pile if possible

Iain

Bob L
06-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll put that in the todo list.

I'm sure when all the features settle in, I will start looking into shortcut toolbars and things like that down the road.

Bob L

Iain Westland
06-14-2008, 10:20 AM
thanks!! think we will be coming up with various ideas over the coming years, some practicle some fancyful, but all with the same end goal as you:D

Iain