PDA

View Full Version : Something missing from the release notes?

UpTilDawn
06-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Say Bob,

Just fooling with the new SAC/SAW link...... which is GREAT!

I found that grouped channel assignments in SAC are in play when "Importing mix data from SAC" in the Saw options menu..... Very useful, by the way!

It took awhile to discover the "combination" that allows a person to change the channels assigned to open with the record meters, which is also cool... that only the record meters "assigned" in SAC will open in SAW!

I don't find any of this info or instructions on how to set things up in the release notes. I'm sure you're probably running on steam just trying to get this out there for everybody, but I thought I should point it out.

It appears that once the link between SAC and SAW is established that a person can define which channels they want SAW to record simply by selecting those channels in SAC by grouping them and then selecting (or even reselecting) the "Import mix data from SAC" item in the submenu under Options/SAC link options.

No saving (re-saving) of the session in either program is necessary,
no need to de-select/re-select Options/activate SAC link first,
or any of other combinations I tried to use to discover the process.

Simply close out the record meters in SAW, group the channels in SAC needed to record, go to SAW and re-select the Import mix option again and then Ctrl/click the first record channel (or the record channel you wish to begin at even!).

The default is to open all SAC active inputs when Ctrl/clicking the record button if no channel grouping is done.

Also if, for instance, you have a 40 channel session open in SAC and then choose to begin recording in SAW FULL from say, channel 50, only inputs from 1-22 (72 tracks in SawFull) will be assigned to record... or the first available inputs up to the SAW track limit....

Very interesting so far! LONG discovery venture ahead.

DanT

UpTilDawn
06-13-2008, 06:19 PM
OH yeah! I almost forgot...
Closing SAW with SAC open makes a pop sound... I was using phones and it wasn't very loud, but I don't know about in a live PA.

I didn't check to see if unchecking the SAC to SAW link first makes a difference.... probably does, huh? And that's probably what people need to be aware of is how to disengage SAW from SAC if it's still live.

DanT

UpTilDawn
06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Cool!
You can even update an existing SAW session's channel labels by simply re-engaging the "Import" option after changing or updating SAC sessions!

DanT

UpTilDawn
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Well, the audible pop persists. Unchecking the "Activate SAC" option before closing SAW does not reduce or elliminate the pop. The pop occurs at the very end of the shutdown cycle, by the way... if that helps.

DanT

Bob L
06-14-2008, 01:36 AM
I had not noticed that here... but I will look into it.

I wonder if it has something to do with some plugin you might have that is disengaging in the shutdown process.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
06-14-2008, 07:41 AM
The only Plug-ins are Saw Reverb in Aux 1 and Levelizer in compressor mode on the output and bypassed. Those were set up for SAC.
I noticed that the SAC to SAW link imported the entire channel layout, including my re-arrangement of out 1 and 2 and Aux 1 to the top of the MT. Does that also insert the FX? I hadn't thought to check. I guess I didn't think FX would be included since I'm just using SAW to capture the dry tracks to record.

I suppose there's instances where someone would want everything from the SAC setup to be imported to SAW, but I would have only needed (or expected) the channel labeling to be there in SAW for simple recording.

(Since I'm wondering about things, I could imagine how being able to import SAW layouts to SAC would be useful, having many mix templates and channel strip files saved for SAW from previous shows.)

I'll check and see if taking away the plugs makes any difference with the pops.
DanT

Bob L
06-14-2008, 07:59 AM
At this time, the plugins are not transferred between the two programs... but yes... you can also transfer setups from SAWStudio to SAC.

Lots more to come in this dept... but now onto Scenes and Groups and Channel Latching.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
06-14-2008, 11:46 AM
At this time, the plugins are not transferred between the two programs... but yes... you can also transfer setups from SAWStudio to SAC.

Duh...... that's what the "Export" option is for, obviously..... I had tunnel vision on last night.

DanT