PDA

View Full Version : Second sound card a cheap one?

Burkeville
05-31-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi I want to build a second computer and would like a sound card for under $1000. I need about 8 in 8 out.
Anyone have success with anything in this price range?

Carey Langille
05-31-2004, 09:40 AM
The RME Multiface is in that price range, Has 8 analog I/O and 16 digital AND midi with Giga support poured in hardware and is in your price range... RME has given me great success for almost 4 yrs now...

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2004, 09:47 AM
I have much great success with the motu 896 and 896HD. The pre's are great and the converters are pleasing. Very solid and compatible with sawstudio. Also firewire, so if you ever add a laptop doesnt require purchase of a cardbus card or anything.

ghowardjr
05-31-2004, 11:33 AM
The RME Multiface is in that price range, Has 8 analog I/O and 16 digital AND midi with Giga support poured in hardware and is in your price range... RME has given me great success for almost 4 yrs now...

Just to be clear. It has 10 digital I/O, 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O and a stereo S/PIDIF digital I/O. The cool thing about it is its expandability with an external MIC-pre with an ADAT option such as the RME OctaMIC, Presonus DIGIMAX, Focusrite OCTO-PRE, Behringer ADA8000, or any other external ADAT converter. This would give you 16 analog I/Os plus the S/PIDIF all available simulataneously.

Hope this helps,
Gary

matt
05-31-2004, 01:59 PM
Soundscape Mixtreme 192.

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-31-2004, 04:36 PM
The Echo Gina or Layla 24 products have worked well for me in several theater systems - the Gina is only about $395, and has 2 in/8out plus spdif and ADAT, the Layla ($699) has 8 in, 8 out, plus SPDIF and ADAT, and MIDI. Layla also has wordclock in and out.

Both seem to work fine for me in either WDM or AISO (on WinXP). Gina has internal converters, Layla has the converters external in the breakout box. There is also a PCCARD adaptor for the Layla, allowing you to use it with a laptop.

If I were picking a product for a primary system, I'd probably lean toward the RME or Soundscape solutions. For a second machine, I find the Echo cards hard to beat.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Perry
05-31-2004, 08:12 PM
If I were picking a product for a primary system, I'd probably lean toward the RME or Soundscape solutions. For a second machine, I find the Echo cards hard to beat.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Dave.. you're a cat!!! I never knew! :)

Seriously though... I think your recommendation here for the Layla fits the bill nicely for this second machine.

All the best,

Perry

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-31-2004, 10:39 PM
Yep, that's me, just one of the cats, man, just one of the cats.

Explains the occasional verbal hairball though, don't you think?

Dave Tosti-Lane

Perry
06-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Yep, that's me, just one of the cats, man, just one of the cats.
Very cool..... I like it. I like it! That's a good way to be I think.

Explains the occasional verbal hairball though, don't you think?

Yeah... I guess it does. ;) :)