PDA

View Full Version : OT - Sound Forge plugs (FX3)

bcorkery
06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I used Sony's distortion plug on an earlier project (on my old machine w/SF7.0) and it worked fine. I rebuilt my PC and loaded SF 8.0 and the distortion plug comes up in Demo mode. It works fine in Sound Forge but in the old SAW edl it's a Demo. I pulled it up on a newer edl and it's still Demo in SAW.

Does this have to do with the prf settings?

I got an emial from Sony support and their information didn't work. I tried live chat and the guy at the other end kept giving me the same answer no matter what I told him, he was probably laughing is head off. One of the most frustrating support sessions I've ever encountered. Oh, except for AT&T, but I digress.

So now I come to you with my hat in hand. This place is like paradise compared to other forums!!! Can somebody with some expertise in SF please give me a direction in this matter ... Mark? Scott?

TIA,
Bill

bcorkery
06-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I have 80d (build 110). Downloading build 128 to see if that fixes it.

Thanks.

Bob L
06-19-2008, 05:38 PM
It does not appear to be unique to SS... the SF plugs become demos when you install another Sony version of SF... there are migration tools in the Sony Programs group to atempt to transfer older SF licenses to newer Sony installs... I have had mixed results with them... I finally removed all Sony installs of SF and Vegas Video from my machine and reloaded the original SF plugs and they come up fine.

I gave up on all Sony's copy mechnisms and moved away from their product line... now use Grass Valley Edius for video... and am I glad I switched. :)

Bob L

Carl G.
06-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I have no idea why it works in SF, but not in SS.

But if you are registered with Sony, you can go to the SF page and download updates to everything you have ever registered with them. Maybe there's a newer version? For example, do you have version 8.0d? I would guess the plug-ins are included with the app install.

Mark

Bill,
Yes, I had similar problems. Go to their site and look up "Utility Migration Tools".
It also *should* be on your program's menu under Sony.

My problem was two fold.
1. SawStudio presets for these plugs are not forward compatible to next versions even through Sony's Utility Migration Tool. No one's fault - just the way it works. So... I learned that IF I use these plugs, I make a build mix for each track that I use it on (and put the build mix on another layer... for later vaulting).
2. The other year, I bought Sony Vegas 7 got a deal on SoundForge 9 ... but in the registry it was all mixed with lots of custom presets on versions 5 & 6 of the sfx package used in SawStudio (which then wouldn't work in SS). The bad thing here is not just the Sony Plugins missing but the EDL's were always popping up with errors because of the numerous Sony Pluggins missing.
After doing the "Utility Migration Tools" thing... all worked well (except I lost all my presets).

Bottom line: Always Mix down individual tracks with Sony Plugs on another layer.... if you think you'll need it again (so you'll have the original dry and wet/sfx versions).

Dave Labrecque
06-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes... Sony migration tools. That's how I fixed the 'demo' mode issue with my Sony plugs.

Good luck, Bill. Let us know how you do...

bcorkery
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks all for your empathy and suggestions.

The migration tool, I'd already tried with lo nuck. :mad:

I downloaded the latest build and instead of loading it over the existing program, I uninstalled, reloaded and reregistered SF. That did the trick.

Carl, I didn't save the settings as a specific template and I think that saved me, the program wasn't looking for a specific name, just the parameters.

I love happy endings! :D

Thanks again, this place is AWESOME!!!

Dave Labrecque
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Glad you got it working, Bill.

bcorkery
06-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks!

Perry
06-21-2008, 12:59 PM

.... now use Grass Valley Edius for video... and am I glad I switched. :)

Bob L

Interesting... Neo or Pro? Obviously you like it but would you care to comment more about why, over other similar products available?

I've wanted to get something to do some video editing for a long time but never make the jump because I never can decide which way to jump.

Thanks Bob,

Perry

Bob L
06-21-2008, 03:22 PM
The low cost others... like Vegas Video, Magix, Pinnacle, even looked at Final Cut Pro... no comparison, in my book.

Edius is much more pro feeling... and the transistion effects and plugins and titling automation control and so forth could easily keep me busy learning for months to come... there are a ton of options... the rendered results look so much better and smoother on the edges than the other packages I have had.

I use the NX with the hardware... full HD RGB output... their own soundcard which actually works very well.. all in all... worth the money in my opinion.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
06-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Edius is much more pro feeling... and the transistion effects and plugins and titling automation control and so forth could easily keep me busy learning for months to come...
Bob L
Learning shmurning! Get back to coding!:D

bcorkery
06-21-2008, 07:49 PM
cheesh, tough crowd!!!! :)

Perry
06-21-2008, 10:38 PM
The low cost others... like Vegas Video, Magix, Pinnacle, even looked at Final Cut Pro... no comparison, in my book.

Edius is much more pro feeling... and the transistion effects and plugins and titling automation control and so forth could easily keep me busy learning for months to come... there are a ton of options... the rendered results look so much better and smoother on the edges than the other packages I have had.

I use the NX with the hardware... full HD RGB output... their own soundcard which actually works very well.. all in all... worth the money in my opinion.

Bob L

Very cool stuff.. thanks for this info. I'm going to look into this one some more.

And errr.. right.. tough crowd here sometimes. :rolleyes::)

Thanks again Bob,

Perry

PS: I'm still planning to send you those Christmas songs by the way.. I hope you didn't think I meant LAST Christmas! :D

sebastiandybing
06-23-2008, 03:41 AM
Hi Perry

Me to are using edius, I just want to tell you that Grassvaley/Canopus are
coming with a rewritten edius this fall.
I do also undestand from the canopus forum that it will be a new piece of software with a new name. I donĀ“t know how there price politic is, but I
guess you can save some money if you wait a little.

Without actually knowing what they are up to, then there has been some
indication between the lines on the forum, like generating alpha files and so on, things like someone would do in aftereffects or photoshop.

Sebastian