PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on simple i/o for guitar

Grekim
06-20-2008, 06:49 AM
I was thinking about getting an interface just for composing (away from my studio computer) using SawStudio.

I could go PCI, but would prefer USB if I get a laptop eventually. I'm really at a loss to tell what's junk and/or drivers might not work well with Saw. There are a few options I came across by M Audio, Edirol, and Presonus. I'd rather not pay extra for bundled software (ie. M Box, etc).

So here's what I'd like:

Solid no hassle drivers for XP
Flawless integration with SAW
Buffers down to 64 samples
One instrument input
Headphone output
USB
Not complete junk :)

Thanks!

Naturally Digital
06-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Here's one: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/JamLab-main.html

soundtrack2life
06-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Line 6 make some decent stuff. I have the Line6 TonePort UX2 USB Computer Recording Interface.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINTPUX2

Alot of bang for the buck espesially for guitar players.
Joe

AcousticGlue
06-20-2008, 08:01 AM
I second the Pod XT Pro (sort of), this interface uses ASIO driver for recording directly into PC-Laptop and online has some amazing sounds. I have used Roland VG8EX for years and found these to be the best but are not USB although not sure on VG99 which is newer. VG99 gives you access via Midi for virtual synth use as well as some very good sounding patches.

But Pod XT Pro or XT Live seems to best way to go. It takes some tweaking for patches or online surfing for them though. I purchased bass Expansion pack for this as well and is very good IF.

Grekim
06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys. I traded a POD XT (or Pro?, kidney shaped thing) not too long ago. Oh well. Guitar effects are not mandatory here, but they're nice to have of course. In fact I'd rather money was spent on components that can get a clean direct sound reasonably well. But, these are good simple options that won't break the bank. Thanks!

AcousticGlue
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
uh, the kidney shaped thing no longer even competes with Pod XT Pro though but hey.....