PDA

View Full Version : FOH Monitoring via Headphones

Ollie
06-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi Bob and all,
It probably would be helpful to route the front of house mix to set of headphones when I am mixing a band. So, what would be the preferred way of doing this. Sure I could just send the individual channels to another to buss 2 and then feed buss 2 to a different sound card output pair and then to the headphone box.

Here is the rub
I can already see that I want to take advantage of buss's 9 - 15 to sub group different instruments together to have one fader to mess with for some band balancing. With buss's 9-15, you can only route to one of the master faders at a time.

Copying the FOH over to a Monitor mixer only partially works. Buss names for buss's 9-15 are not copied, and I am not seeing an option to make this mixer chase the FOH mix moves.

Let me know what your ideas are
Thanks

Jeff or Ollie if you prefer :)

Bud Johnson
06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
It's a work around, but it works.
On the FOH, duplicate buss 9-15 on busses 18-24. Assign 18-24 to your headphone out buss. Group Buss 9 to 18, buss 10 to 19, and so forth. You'll have to select the group before you move a fader, but it works. Your buss label is then in group names.
There must be other ways though.

Bud Johnson
06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Or, you can split the main out after DA, sending one to the PA and 1 to the headphone/amp.

Bud Johnson
06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Or
Make sure solo-mutes other channels isn't activated and leave your main out soloed. Monitor from the assigned solo out.

Bud Johnson
06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
or
Does the Buss extender plug-in work in SAC? If so........

OK, I got nutton!:p

Leadfoot
06-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Can't you just solo the main out and listen to the whole mix like that?

Tony

Bob L
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Why not just assign the solo bus to one pair of outs and run that thru a small headphone amp box... now anytime you want to solo anything you can... and the main mix is soloed by just clicking the solo light itself... on any mixer... so you can hear FOH main out by just clicking the solo light anytime... AND... when you switch to a monitor mixer, the same operation will solo that monitor master out.

This is my preferred way to listen and adjust monitor mixes.

Use either the Pre or Pst Solo Mode.

Bob L

Ollie
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Well,
That makes that issue an easy one to solve. Thanks Bud for your response, that was a creative work around. Thanks Bob for making us both see the light of doing this easily.

Ollie

Bob L
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
You can also assign one monitor mixer to its own master out and then assign all chan sources to PST FDR... then just set that mixer's faders all to zero db and that mixer will chase the FOH mixer exactly.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Why not just assign the solo bus to one pair of outs and run that thru a small headphone amp box... now anytime you want to solo anything you can... and the main mix is soloed by just clicking the solo light itself... on any mixer... so you can hear FOH main out by just clicking the solo light anytime... AND... when you switch to a monitor mixer, the same operation will solo that monitor master out.

This is my preferred way to listen and adjust monitor mixes.

Use either the Pre or Pst Solo Mode.

Bob L

Thanks for pointing this out earlier in the thread I posted a while back. This feels more like monitoring off the headphone section of a hardware mixer to me.

DanT

Ollie
06-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Another great idea! Thanks.

You can also assign one monitor mixer to its own master out and then assign all chan sources to PST FDR... then just set that mixer's faders all to zero db and that mixer will chase the FOH mixer exactly.

Bob L