PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can anyone tell me what DDP is...

Dave Labrecque
06-25-2008, 10:25 AM
...and why http://www.ddpcd.com/ shows a familiar image on one side of the big cube?

AudioAstronomer
06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
The cat picture is very common an originated on caturday.

Dave Labrecque
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
The cat picture is very common an originated on caturday.

I see. And DDP?

Perry
06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I see. And DDP?

It's another (different) way of delivering masters for replication.

Quickly lifted from some web site:

DDP FILES or Disc Description Protocol

There are two ways to deliver your master to a replication facility, audio CD or DDP file. While audio CDs work for this purpose they are far from ideal because no matter how good the media and the burner are, you're going to have some number of errors in the data.

On the other hand, Disc Description Protocol (DDP) files are delivered as data on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. The error correction employed on data discs is designed to be more robust than that of audio CDs. This ensures that the audio master that the plant gets will not have any errors in the data.

Also (a wee bit dated maybe but should be informative still):

The Mastering Engineer's Handbook - Google Books Result -

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vAToEPN3WV0C&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=DDP+and+mastering&source=web&ots=hPm81dTcPt&sig=X2-k49vnNG4wwk2QCWUN4M9MgR8&hl=
en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

FWIW, CDR's are widely used for delivery.

perry

Dave Labrecque
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM
It's another (different) way of delivering masters for replication.

Quickly lifted from some web site:

DDP FILES or Disc Description Protocol

There are two ways to deliver your master to a replication facility, audio CD or DDP file. While audio CDs work for this purpose they are far from ideal because no matter how good the media and the burner are, you're going to have some number of errors in the data.

On the other hand, Disc Description Protocol (DDP) files are delivered as data on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. The error correction employed on data discs is designed to be more robust than that of audio CDs. This ensures that the audio master that the plant gets will not have any errors in the data.

Also (a bit dated maybe but should be informative):

The Mastering Engineer's Handbook - Google Books Result -

(copy and paste)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vAToEPN3WV0C&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=DDP+and+mastering&source=web&ots=hPm81dTcPt&sig=X2-k49vnNG4wwk2QCWUN4M9MgR8&hl=
en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result (http://books.google.ca/books?id=vAToEPN3WV0C&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=DDP+and+mastering&source=web&ots=hPm81dTcPt&sig=X2-k49vnNG4wwk2QCWUN4M9MgR8&hl=%3Cbr%20/%3E%0Aen&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result)

FWIW, CDR's are most commonly used now.

perry

Thanks, Perry. I googled it, but was thrown by all the hits that didn't really describe it per se. Interesting. I asked because it looks like Sonoris is coming out with a new stand-alone program called DDP Creator. Among others.

Perry
06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Perry. I googled it, but was thrown by all the hits that didn't really describe it per se. Interesting. I asked because it looks like Sonoris is coming out with a new stand-alone program called DDP Creator. Among others.

I understand... the web can be a great source of info... or sometimes 'too much' info! :)

By the way: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

:)

TotalSonic
06-25-2008, 03:21 PM
While audio CDs work for this purpose they are far from ideal because no matter how good the media and the burner are, you're going to have some number of errors in the data.

This is a very common misconception and is in fact not correct at all if pre-testing (which makes sure that any received CD-R masters are correct to book specs and do not contain uncorrectable errors - aka CU's) and reasonably current softwares (which do secure DAE so that any C1's & C2's read from the CD are in fact corrected) are used prior to streaming the image data to the LBR (laser beam recorder) used in glass mastering. These things in fact are standard procedure at nearly every CD replicator these days.

Anyway - more info on DDP can be read at the site of it's creators - DCA - http://www.dcainc.com

Essentially DDP is a specific data image format containing all information (including subcodes, audio, video, data) needed to create a glass master for replicating optical discs - and can be used for the various CD (Audio, Data, Enhanced CD) and DVD (Video, Audio, Data), and now even BluRay formats.

DDP can be easily placed onto data storeage formats such as CD-R, DVD-R, DLT, Exabyte and hard drive.

AND -
DDP has the definite advantage of being the only data image format that can be FTP'd to a replicator.

Some cool news is that according to their latest newsletter Sonoris is planning to issue a standalone app later this year called "DDP Creator" that will allow folks to create DDP images directly from cue sheets.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Pedro Itriago
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
...and why http://www.ddpcd.com/ shows a familiar image on one side of the big cube?

You missed the small cube. The DDP you're linking is a band. Had you clicked on the small cube, you'd been directed to their main page here (http://www.ddpcd.com/home.html)

Then, there's the DDP Peey & Steve & Robert talked about

Perry
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
This is a very common misconception and is in fact not correct at all if pre-testing (which makes sure that any received CD-R masters are correct to book specs and do not contain uncorrectable errors - aka CU's) and reasonably current softwares (which do secure DAE so that any C1's & C2's read from the CD are in fact corrected) are used prior to streaming the image data to the LBR (laser beam recorder) used in glass mastering. These things in fact are standard procedure at nearly every CD replicator these days.

Anyway - more info on DDP can be read at the site of it's creators - DCA - http://www.dcainc.com

Essentially DDP is a specific data image format containing all information (including subcodes, audio, video, data) needed to create a glass master for replicating optical discs - and can be used for the various CD (Audio, Data, Enhanced CD) and DVD (Video, Audio, Data), and now even BluRay formats.

DDP can be easily placed onto data storeage formats such as CD-R, DVD-R, DLT, Exabyte and hard drive.

AND -
DDP has the definite advantage of being the only data image format that can be FTP'd to a replicator.

Some cool news is that according to their latest newsletter Sonoris is planning to issue a standalone app later this year called "DDP Creator" that will allow folks to create DDP images directly from cue sheets.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Thanks for the info Steve.... on the site I copied from DDP was being given as an advantage that they offered and (I tend to believe) was intended to mystify the process at least a bit or at least it was marketing mojo. I should have clarified that I guess. More of the 'too much info' syndrome that confuses a lot of searches on the internet. :confused:

Oh well.... at least we don't have to pick up the phone and call someone to find out something. errr... wait a minute... that used to work quite well usually. :eek: :rolleyes:

-1 for the "that's sooo 30 minutes ago" generation! :D

Perry

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I understand... the web can be a great source of info... or sometimes 'too much' info! :)

By the way: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

:)

Thanks. :)

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

AND -

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve, why can't a standard CD image (ISO) file be FTP'd?

TotalSonic
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Steve, why can't a standard CD image (ISO) file be FTP'd?

Because an ISO image describes only a data format (Yellow book / CD-ROM) - and as such is not a format that can be directly used to give an instruction set for sending CD Digital Audio and appropriate subcodes needed to create a Red book spec CD as a data stream to the LBR.

Basically: DDP contains an instruction set and bit order that allows them to stream the data directly to the LBR (laser beam recorder) without doing any additional work - all other image formats (bin, cue, iso, etc.) do not have their data placed in the appropriate format to do this.

Replicators when set up for accepting masters via FTP can accept DDP ONLY - all other image formats require that they actually perform some form of pre-mastering to occur at the plant prior to them do actual glass mastering. While some plants have in house pre-mastering facilities (i.e. the one I used to work at, the now closed Europadisk, did) the vast majority do not.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Because an ISO image describes only a data format (Yellow book / CD-ROM) - and as such is not a format that can be directly used to give an instruction set for sending CD Digital Audio and appropriate subcodes needed to create a Red book spec CD as a data stream to the LBR.

Basically: DDP contains an instruction set and bit order that allows them to stream the data directly to the LBR (laser beam recorder) without doing any additional work - all other image formats (bin, cue, iso, etc.) do not have their data placed in the appropriate format to do this.

Replicators when set up for accepting masters via FTP can accept DDP ONLY - all other image formats require that they actually perform some form of pre-mastering to occur at the plant prior to them do actual glass mastering. While some plants have in house pre-mastering facilities (i.e. the one I used to work at, the now closed Europadisk, did) the vast majority do not.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Thanks for the explanation, Steve. I had a feeling that was it. :)