PDA

View Full Version : OT: HD speed determination

Dave Labrecque
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Is there any way to determine if a laptop's hard drive is a 5400 or 7200 RPM drive without looking at model numbers? Some kind of data that's readable somewhere in Windows?

Or is finding the model number in Windows (like via Properties/Hardware for the drive in Windows Explorer), then checking online the best way?

Thanks.

Ian Alexander
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Easy. Put a little dab of paint on one edge of the platter. The bearings will complain. Record the complaining noise and run it through Bob's Frequency Analyzer to read the frequency. Due to the extra load of the off center paint daub, it may read a little low.

Warning: If not completely carefully, this procedure may deposit unsightly droplets of paint on the inside of your notebook. Let it dry first.

Mountain Media
07-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Easy. Put a little dab of paint on one edge of the platter. The bearings will complain. Record the complaining noise and run it through Bob's Frequency Analyzer to read the frequency. Due to the extra load of the off center paint daub, it may read a little low.

Warning: If not completely carefully, this procedure may deposit unsightly droplets of paint on the inside of your notebook. Let it dry first.

Or, if you want to be more accurate - using the same paint 'dab', use a strobe-light (you can purchase a reasonable one for approximately $400) to determine the spin frequency of the disk.

NOTE - since you will have to spin the disk up to speed with the top plate removed, be careful to collect all data that 'flies-off' while the drive is open, and carefully replace back onto the drive prior to closing, to insure data integrity!!

Cary B. Cornett
07-08-2008, 05:50 AM
You need the model number. Right-click on "My Computer", select "Properties". Click the Hardware tab. Select Device Manager. You will see "Disk drives" listed near the top. Hit the "+" and hard drive models should be listed there.

You may also be able to look up the information in the BIOS configuration utility.

Dave Labrecque
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
You need the model number. Right-click on "My Computer", select "Properties". Click the Hardware tab. Select Device Manager. You will see "Disk drives" listed near the top. Hit the "+" and hard drive models should be listed there.

You may also be able to look up the information in the BIOS configuration utility.

Thanks, Cary. What you suggest seems to be the easiest way. If I Google the drive's manufacturer, model number, and the word "spec", I seem to get what I need.

I ruined five perfectly good hard drives using the dab-of-paint method that the other guys suggested. Jerks.

Dave Labrecque
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Or 4500, like I found out the hard way when I bought my first laptop years ago.:o

Mark

Ouch.

cgrafx
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Cary. What you suggest seems to be the easiest way. If I Google the drive's manufacturer, model number, and the word "spec", I seem to get what I need.

I ruined five perfectly good hard drives using the dab-of-paint method that the other guys suggested. Jerks.

Obviously you were using the wrong color paint.

:)

Mountain Media
07-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Obviously you were using the wrong color paint.

Or the wrong type of paint - you MUST use acrylic or latex based paint. If you use lead based, the lead weighs so much that it will throw the platter off balance, causing the computer to dance like a jumping-bean!!

Ok, 'nuff - hope you found your drive info somewhere in the system data!

Dave Labrecque
07-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Or the wrong type of paint - you MUST use acrylic or latex based paint. If you use lead based, the lead weighs so much that it will throw the platter off balance, causing the computer to dance like a jumping-bean!!

Ok, 'nuff - hope you found your drive info somewhere in the system data!

The reason for this thread (if anyone cares): I'm doing a remote recording gig this Friday which involves a multicamera shoot for a local TV station. The show will be edited and then air within a week of the event. I want to have a backup laptop should mine fail for some reason. So, I'm calling friends and family, and checking out their laptops' specs to find one that will suffice.

They get especially peeved when my electric kool-aid paint test doesn't pan out.

Cary B. Cornett
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
They get especially peeved when my electric kool-aid paint test doesn't pan out. You've been on the road with Ken Kesey for too long... :p:eek::rolleyes:

bcorkery
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I had that book in my backpack coming back from Taiwan in the early '70's and the airport customs guys tore my stuff apart! Whew, I wasn't holding!