PDA

View Full Version : Proper Sync Method For 2 Digiface

William Bushnell
07-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I finally got around to installing my second RME HSDP PCI card in the SAC/SAW computer so I will now have more than 24 channels. However I am not clear on setting the sync between the two Digifaces and the ADA 8000s.

From the manual:

The current drivers support operation of up to three Hammerfall DSP systems. Different I/Oboxes may be used, in any combination. Digiface, Multiface II, Multiface, HDSP 9632 and HDSP 9652 use the same driver, therefore can be used at the same time..... Please note that only one ADAT Sync In can be used (of course). All units have to be in sync, i.e. have to receive valid sync information either via word clock or by using AutoSync and feeding synchronized signals.

If one of the HDSP systems is set to clock mode Master, all others have to be set to clock mode AutoSync, and have to be synced from the master, for example by feeding word clock. The clock modes of all units have to be set up correctly in their Settings dialog.

Ok, here is what I have.

Digiface 1 Clock Mode is set to Master, Pref. Sync Ref is set to ADAT Sync, System Clock shows Master and 44.1 kHz, Time Code shows -:-:-.

Digiface 2 Clock Mode is set to AutoSync, Perf. Sync Ref is set to ADAT Sync, System Clock shows Slave and 32 Khz, Time Code shows Card 1.

1. All ADA 8000 sync is set to slave and I thought they received their sync from the light pipe connections. Is this correct?

2. Do I now need to use Word Clock to sync the two digiface units? If I understand the manual, Word Clock is the method used to sync the two Digiface units. Will this reset the 32kHz error on the second Digiface?

3. How do I then get sync to ADA 8000s connected to Digiface 2? Also Word Clock?

I thought I had an understanding on this at one time but maybe not. Thanks for the help.

Craig Allen
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Word Clock should do the trick.

Iain Westland
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
remember that ada8000 dont terminate wordclock so you will need a terminal block after the last one

Bob L
07-09-2008, 01:15 AM
You do not have to do anything on the Behringers... keep then set to the optical sync... set RME card 1 to master clock and set RME 2 to autosync with the reference to wordclock... connect the wordclock out of card 1 to wordclock in of card 2... works perfectly... been doing it that way on my live rig for many years now.

Bob L

William Bushnell
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the information. Seems I was trying to make it more difficult than it needed to be.