PDA

View Full Version : MWS at work on a radio spot

Dave Labrecque
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't know if anyone cares, or if this is old hat for you MIDI-heads...

A client gave me a script to produce that took some pretty interesting "creative liberties" in terms of music usage considering all we usually do is put an existing music cue under some voice-over. Sure, there's the occasional custom jingle, but this was not that...

The script called for a single flute, then another instrument (I chose French horn) then an orchestra to start up and play through the rest of the spot. The idea is that these new-construction neighborhoods are named around a musical motif, so it all has to work together. Oh, there's a trumpet in there, too, as the neighborhoods are named in succession.

Madera Highlands Radio (http://www.labrecquecreativesound.com/ClientFiles/BolchalkFReY/MeritageHomes/MER-357-08411.mp3)

I know, not complicated at all, but it was fun to mix MWS right into a radio spot session, live. No rendering of MWS tracks necessary. A single instance of GVI outputting to three SAW MT tracks handled the virtual musical chores.

Body of the music bed is by Firstcom. SFX by Hollywood Edge. Thanks to voice talent Barry Zate for the VO (this guy's good).

I also used Spazio for the first time, to simulate the hall space for these solo orchestral instruments. Sounds nice. Thanks, Robert and Andrea for the great Anwida buying opportunity! :)

bcorkery
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
That was a fun spot. Do you do very much with MWS. It blended seamlessly with the FirstCom track.

Dave Labrecque
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Do you do very much with MWS.

Not really. I get a jingle project about once a year. Or less. Every time I open up MWS, I have to remember how it all works. :p That port-setting stuff can be tough for my old brain.

Thanks for listening. :)

bcorkery
07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I really have to learn MIDI ... someday.

bcorkery
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm a better procrastinator then you. :p
I guess you could say I'm a PRO procrastinator! :D

Dave Labrecque
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm a better procrastinator then you. :p
I guess you could say I'm a PRO procrastinator! :D

Does that mean you've actually figured out a way to get paid to do it? Genius! :p

studio-c
07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Does that mean you've actually figured out a way to get paid to do it? Genius! :p

IATSE Local 122... ;)

Hey Dave, I'm on a location gig. Can't wait to hear your spot! I'll check it out after work today. Your stuff is always brilliant.

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I really wanted the bed testing job ... I was late for the audition. :(

studio-c
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
You're a lightweight procrastinator, dude.:)

Mark

LOL :D

Dave Labrecque
07-12-2008, 01:43 AM
I really wanted the bed testing job ... I was late for the audition. :(

Couldn't get out of bed, eh?

Isn't it ironic? Dontcha think?

bcorkery
07-14-2008, 03:07 PM
IYou're a lightweight procrastinator, dude.:)
:( Back to the ranks of amaturecrastinator, dang!

bcorkery
07-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Couldn't get out of bed, eh?

Isn't it ironic? Dontcha think? I slept till when? :eek: