PDA

View Full Version : SAC Snake/Cabling

IraSeigel
07-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Recently I asked about DB25 connectors, and I believe there were several negative comments regarding user experience.

Could you please take a look at this:
http://planetwaves.com/Pcablesdetails.aspx?ID=9

and let me know your thoughts? I still think there is value in these, as it would simplify setup times. With enough clearance in the back of your racks, you could leave the "tails" connected to your interface, and then connect to the house splitter (or FOH tails) quickly and conveniently.

Thanks,
Ira

UpTilDawn
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Recently I asked about DB25 connectors, and I believe there were several negative comments regarding user experience.

Could you please take a look at this:
http://planetwaves.com/Pcablesdetails.aspx?ID=9

and let me know your thoughts? I still think there is value in these, as it would simplify setup times. With enough clearance in the back of your racks, you could leave the "tails" connected to your interface, and then connect to the house splitter (or FOH tails) quickly and conveniently.

Thanks,
Ira

I just finished a three day festival using the splitter snake I built two years ago and still using DB-25 connectors at the preamp rack..... I DON'T like it this year even more than I didn't like it last year!:(

I'm changing those ends to a single elco 90-pin connector in my free time before year's end and be done with it. The elco connector is the cheapest, reliable multi-pin connector I can find and have faith to work.
If you want to keep things eight channels to a connector, then use the elco 56-pin connectors. Much more secure and far less likely to break than the DB25 versions (like mine have). All it takes is a little pressure at the wrong place, or a snagged cable over the screw holding the connector to the panel....

DanT

Warren
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Ira:

It seems as you are leaning towards the DB25's if you do go in that direction, find a completely metal case because it’s the plastic ones that break after repeated use.

This is why I went to either twist lock AMP connectors or the "T" handle AMP "M" series for multi-pin connections on satellite snakes that get connected over and over. If the D-SUB type connecters are internal to the case and not repeatedly disconnected / reconnected fine. But I think over time you would be disappointed with the longevity of the DB-25.

My .02 rant on that subject.

Chris

IraSeigel
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Ira:

It seems as you are leaning towards the DB25's if you do go in that direction, find a completely metal case because it’s the plastic ones that break after repeated use.

This is why I went to either twist lock AMP connectors or the "T" handle AMP "M" series for multi-pin connections on satellite snakes that get connected over and over. If the D-SUB type connecters are internal to the case and not repeatedly disconnected / reconnected fine. But I think over time you would be disappointed with the longevity of the DB-25.

Chris

I've wired several AMP connectors with the T handle. You're right - they're the best.

Ira

Warren
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I've wired several AMP connectors with the T handle. You're right - they're the best.

Ira

Pricey suckers though.

UpTilDawn
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi Ira:

Chris
My splitter snake db25's are all metal..... they still suck.

Warren
07-11-2008, 09:46 PM
My splitter snake db25's are all metal..... they still suck.

Oh man! ya should have got the blow version, they still suck or is that blow?

At any rate AMP twist-lock or M series T handle worked great for me .

mycorn
07-12-2008, 06:35 AM
another alternative if you dont have stage hands connecting
your stuff and the line count is not too high are AMP CPC's

a 37 pin panel/hose combo is under $50

i make all my connections so the
-cheap plastic connector-
factor is not an issue for me

the elco's are the least expencive/most functional snake multi

fwiw
mh