PDA

View Full Version : Fun Sac Gig Last night

Ollie
07-12-2008, 10:11 AM
The power of Sac was really nice last night. It is really wonderful having decent eq and dynamics processors in these applications. Just using what was in Sac for channel EQ and the Dynamics, I was able to make the vocals and acoustic guitars really have some presence but could couch the dynamics nicely. It was so nice to grab a dynamics slider and hear the vocal come into focus.

It was a small gig: two acoustic guitars and two vocalist. It was dynamite. I also ran some of the PSP delays for some space and the Anwida Chorus delay for acoustic guitar at times. The Anwida 31 slider eq was helpful for tuning both the FOH and stage monitor. On the Anwida 31 graphic, it would be nicer if you could latch a few frequencies at a time and move them down or up.

Before the show started, I was able to pipe background music into the Front of House from SawStudio.

All in all a tremendous experience. I am going to have a couple of setups going.

1 - 8 channel Setup: I can see using this system for small setups.
2 - 24 channel Setup: an expander to the 8 channel rig that will be a 24 channel system.

Awesome job Bob.

Bob L
07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Glad you enjoyed the experience...

Bob L

Ollie
07-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Bob,
It was so nice to have good eq and effective sounding dynamics processors in a live situation. Most live analog consoles in low budget rooms pretty much suck. This really raises the bar in what you can do.

mako
07-13-2008, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the update Ollie - I could say - "hey, it's nice it all worked for you"

But, with the HW & SW you were using, that was never in doubt - :)

mako

Bruce Callaway
07-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Ollie, interesting. Did the Anwida 31 channel graphic introduce much CPU load?

Ollie
07-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I did not find that this added much load. What I find I need to be careful of is adding their limiters and comps not so much for CPU load but for latency. I noticed that I get a bit of latency in the output when these are added to the signal chain.

When I use everything that is in the Sac console, no problems with latency.

I had SAC EQ and Dynamics on four channels. I ran SawStudio in the background. CPU LOAD was never an issue

I had a few Fx setup. Anwida reverb(did not use this on this gig cuz the room was reverberant enough), PSP PCM 42 set to a short delay for fattening up the vocal. PSP PCM 42 Longer delay which worked better then the reverb in this room, Anwida chours delay which I sometimes used on one of the acoustic guitars.

CPU load was never an issue.

Ollie, interesting. Did the Anwida 31 channel graphic introduce much CPU load?

Bob L
07-13-2008, 10:33 AM
You need to check about the latency with the plugs you speak of... SAC will bypass any plug that adds latency and withholds buffers... but... if the plug actually returns a full buffer of zeros instead of witholding... then SAC cannot detect that and the plug can then deliver its data later in following buffers.

You can check if the plug is doing that by placing it on a track in SAWStudio and then building a mix to the hottrack underneath... zoom in and look at the data... if the data is not lined up perfectly, then the plug is doing this and will be no good for SAC.

Bob L