PDA

View Full Version : Need help organizing session

alahnee
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi, im having a hard time figuring this out..
what im trying to do is after i have selected parts like -verse-chorus- or whatever..having it selected by listening to the track and pressing 'B' to start the selection and then 'E' to end a selection..i then now have a selected area that i want to set a title to and save it as a selection say for example 'verse 1' so I can then and then begin the selection process again for example the 'chorus'..

So now that i have these selected 'parts' of the song ready as 'preselected areas' all i then now have to do to work on a part for the chorus or verse I just click on the Title of the preselected parts and wallah its already selected and ready for punching in or looping or whatever....

seeing i don't have a clue how to organize it like this inside of SS..
I used to be able to do this in cu base i think..i would listen to the track and press F2 or something to create markers on the top of the play list..and then click on the markers and it would highlight to the next marker..and i could save them into a play list type of floating box under given titles of the parts.

understand what im talking about?

what im tryng to do is work on verse parts and chorus parts and intro parts..and its a pain in the ass to have to reselect the parts "just right' to do some overdubbing work in them..

Its got to be more easier then that right?

can someone help me out..

I read/listened to the tutorials on the website and all i can find out is how to work with selected areas..cut paste stuff.. and using 'B' and 'E'

so far this has gotten me really frustrated ..:confused:

Bob L
07-13-2008, 11:38 PM
You can create location markers using the Location points at the top of the MT... then you can clcik the first location point and alt-click the next to automatically mark between them... create the verse beg and end points... then the chorus beg and end points... etc.

You can create up to 30 locate points using the Locate Menu at the top of the MT (L>)

Or, you can create location points in the Control track and do the same thing to select and mark between them... create an F-Key workspace view with the Control Track View visible with nothing covering it and switch to that F-Key when you need to access the markers.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
07-13-2008, 11:48 PM
You have to use the "control track" or the "locater" for markers.

Make a F-key where the control track window is open and save it to a F-key (shift+ F-key).
You can use the Q key on the keyoard or the menu in the ctrl. track window to set markers, click in the text area to rename it.

To set a quick locator, hold shift and press locator 1-4 or press the jump
down menu and choose locator 5-30.

You can save a selection to a selection group for recall.
To do so hit S on the keyboard or push the select key on top of the multitrack window and select all regions in the verse.
Right click the select button and choose the save to group option.
Now you are able to move, copy, paste a bunch of regions spred across
tracks in one pass.
To copy a selection, place the cursor at the distination and hit ctrl+insert or drag the selecton by holding shift+left mouse, you can then make a copy by clicking right mouse while holding left mouse...it sounds difficoult but it is easy.

To mark a region you can hit ctrl.+E or alt+E (will also mark the softege)
or use the B and E key.

I hope this will get you going:)

In the old sawpro there was a very nice markers window witch showed time between makers, it was also possible to do editing from within the markers window like spliting files and set mark begin and ending.
and it was possible to make markers in the soundfile window.

I still hope Bob will pass this design to sawstudio one day:D.

Sebastian

alahnee
07-14-2008, 12:02 AM
thanks Bob you rock!
works really good with the L-keys :)

got something else..maybe i can catch you while your in this thread..is there a way to get the loop action to bounce back seamless without that silent delay as the play head loops back to the beginning of the looped selection..

for me the loop takes a good second to jump back to playing ..maybe its the playback buffer or something?

Iv done some looping in soundforge and in making a selection it has no discernible stops

sebastiandybing
07-14-2008, 12:04 AM
ok, I haven´t seen your last part.

If one of the regions has the length of the verse, then you just have
to hit ctrl.+E to mark the verse for punch in.

Or drag the cursor across the timeline to mark a area.

or set the mark begin with B and use the tabulator to jump to verse end and hit E.

Sawstudio is also recording outside the punchin area, so you don´t have to mark it on the precise downbeat, just move the cut point afterwards if
nessesary. to do so hold ctrl+alt and drag the splice point.

Sebastian

sebastiandybing
07-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Bob you are fast,

Thanks for the alt+locator did not know that one.

Sebastian

alahnee
07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
You have to use the "control track" or the "locater" for markers.

Make a F-key where the control track window is open and save it to a F-key (shift+ F-key).
You can use the Q key on the keyoard or the menu in the ctrl. track window to set markers, click in the text area to rename it.

To set a quick locator, hold shift and press locator 1-4 or press the jump
down menu and choose locator 5-30.

You can save a selection to a selection group for recall.
To do so hit S on the keyboard or push the select key on top of the multitrack window and select all regions in the verse.
Right click the select button and choose the save to group option.
Now you are able to move, copy, paste a bunch of regions spred across
tracks in one pass.
To copy a selection, place the cursor at the distination and hit ctrl+insert or drag the selecton by holding shift+left mouse, you can then make a copy by clicking right mouse while holding left mouse...it sounds difficoult but it is easy.

To mark a region you can hit ctrl.+E or alt+E (will also mark the softege)
or use the B and E key.

I hope this will get you going:)

In the old sawpro there was a very nice markers window witch showed time between makers, it was also possible to do editing from within the markers window like spliting files and set mark begin and ending.
and it was possible to make markers in the soundfile window.

I still hope Bob will pass this design to sawstudio one day:D.

Sebastian

:eek:
wish i could see that demonstrated on video ..
that sounds really complicated...:(

I know its seems like a great way to organize things..it just blows my mind..I finally figured out what a control track window was....:D and stared at it like what the hell is that do! *L*..

i hit shift and f and nothing happened :D

i think its best for my brain type to opt for the L-keys..

wish it was as simple as hitting shift lala as the playhead passes the desired points in a toon and Kappow we have a verse all nice and ready and selected to work in it..rename as you wish these ' work areas'

yea and a side plate of onion rings :D

just

alahnee
07-14-2008, 12:25 AM
ok, I haven***180;t seen your last part.

If one of the regions has the length of the verse, then you just have
to hit ctrl.+E to mark the verse for punch in.

Or drag the cursor across the timeline to mark a area.

or set the mark begin with B and use the tabulator to jump to verse end and hit E.

Sawstudio is also recording outside the punchin area, so you don***180;t have to mark it on the precise downbeat, just move the cut point afterwards if
nessesary. to do so hold ctrl+alt and drag the splice point.

Sebastian

yep that works good:)

thanks for the great reply BTW very grateful

Bob L
07-14-2008, 08:10 AM
The way the MT processing works and allows for latency correction and buffer size changing, there is currently no way to create a seamless loopback function in the MT.

The SoudFile view does allow for seamless loop creation and lets you even adjust the loop mark beg and end seamlessly as it plays... this was designed for creating a perfect loop region... then you place that on the MT.

Since each region on each track would normaly require a different cut point to be seamless (based on the audio data in the region), I personally never found that a loop cut across all tracks of the MT would be useful.

You would do much better to cut each track separately and then use the softedge feature to smooth the edit.

Bob L

Arco
07-15-2008, 05:50 AM
i hit shift and f and nothing happened :D

F-key as in "function key"

saves all the windows in place for instant recall...very powerful. if you're not using this (often!) you're not getting the most out of SAW.

set up a Func-key view with the Control Track visible so you can easily click the markers you need and saw will oblige by jumping to the spot-- "Verse1" "Bridge" "Chorus2" etc.

mikebuzz
07-15-2008, 06:27 AM
If you are yalking about cutting and pasting the ORDER of the parts I do this all the time
1. find your start / stop points , label them ( locate)
2. select all tracks (S)
3. hit K , this cuts the sections
4. select the section ( S ) across all tracks
5. move it to the new location ( you may need to slide around other sections to do this

Later
Buzz