PDA

View Full Version : hot hooks ..

Iain Westland
07-14-2008, 12:34 AM
set sac up to record last night, so raised the pres till sac's meters were where i like them, turned on sawlite and linked them imported the session and set record up but all of its meters were clipping, so i had to put a 3dB attenuation onto sac and the meters dropped within saw.

i was recording so couldnt experiment, but this was with empty edl's, and no dynamics, eq's, anything. just wondering if you know what this might be, or maybe its something thats managed to slip through.

as i said these are both brand new, empty edls, it seems that sac can go hotter than saws record meters before clipping

Iain

UpTilDawn
07-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I had the same thing happen last week.
I think (without putting much thought into it) that SAC's meters are not monitoring the same point along the audio path as SAW's record meters.

It would be great to be able to set the preamp levels based on just SAC alone though.... very helpful, in fact.

DanT

Bob L
07-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Both should be the same, unless you have added gain on the SS side with the digital trims that are a feature of the record meters.

The data comes from the soundcard driver and is passed directly to SAC and then to SS thru the link... it is the same data.

Bob L

Bob L
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Don't forget, you also have different SAC meter tap points... if your SAC meters are pst (default), then they are responding to your fader levels and processing effects (like compression)... in order to match the SAWStudio record meters, you would have to set the SAC meter tappoint to SRC.

Bob L

Iain Westland
07-14-2008, 02:03 PM
gonna go with the tap point on this one!!! will know for sure on weds. in a far off and distant upgrade would it be possible to either put three light boxes at the top of the program (where the foh, solo etc bits are) to show which one is engaged, and if you could link the lights to action the action that would be brilliant.

of course i could go on to ask for this as a per channel, but sacs about low load rather than bells n whistles.

respect n regards

Iain

UpTilDawn
07-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll have to keep the SRC setting in mind for future live mixing while recording. I'm sure I had SAC set for post fader.
I guess setting it to SRC during the initial volume settings would be easy enough to get used to, especially if it meant not needing to keep an eye on the SAW record meters while adjusting preamp gains. That also would allow me to use a single monitor to save space.

DanT