View Full Version : OT SDC mic choice

Cary B. Cornett
07-15-2008, 07:18 AM
I am looking for a good pair of cardioid small diaphragm condenser mics. Schoeps/Neumann are a bit rich for my blood right now, but I do not want to go with the "cheap junk" chinese stuff either. I need these to work for both choir/ensemble pickups and drum overheads.

So far the top candidates are either the Josephson C42MP or the Peluso CEMC6. Can anyone give me a comparison of these, or recommend other mics in the same "class"? Of those recommended, what reputable dealer might offer the best pricing?

Ollie
07-15-2008, 08:51 AM
A nice mic is a joy forever. Hunt around for a good KM84. You will not be disappointed.

Sean McCoy
07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I haven't used either of those, either, but both have many fans. As I understand it, the Josephsons are pretty bright so beware. Another option you might want to consider are AKG 451's. Still a standard. And an awful lot of people like the Oktava MK012 (Russian version), which are pretty inexpensive, and can be modded.

Cary B. Cornett
07-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, after a little more research, I have decided to go with the Peluso CEMC6 pair. So now I'm looking for a reputable dealer. Any recommendations?

Grekim
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
If it's not too late, consider the Gefell M300.

Cary B. Cornett
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
If it's not too late, consider the Gefell M300.

Last I heard, those were quite a bit more expensive, which would put them out of my budget.

DominicPerry
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Cary,

If you can get a listen, then there are quite a few budget choices which suit some people.
Studio Projects C4
Oktava MK012
New AKG P150

I had a pair of KM84s which I sold. They were better than the Studio Projects C4s which I now have, but the C4s work on some things.

Dominic

Richard Rupert
07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Again, if you're not locked in to your choice, I would recommend you look at the Audio Technica 4051a. It has a very smooth response (which includes a good low end for a small condenser).

As far as dealers... I don't remember where I bought mine.

TotalSonic
07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Again, if you're not locked in to your choice, I would recommend you look at the Audio Technica 4051a. It has a very smooth response (which includes a good low end for a small condenser).

As far as dealers... I don't remember where I bought mine.

I'm a big fan of the AT4051 as well - very good bang for buck with these mics. They work very nicely as close mics on strings besides being good for overheads or room.

For choir / chamber ensemble work a lot of Earthworks' offerings can work very well also.

As mentioned before KM84's are the jammy - KM184's I'm not as much in love with.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I've never used them, but have heard very good things about the Josephson mics.

Mark

Same here - never used them - but have lots of engineer friends whose ears I trust who love them.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Harold Thompson
07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, after a little more research, I have decided to go with the Peluso CEMC6 pair. So now I'm looking for a reputable dealer. Any recommendations?

John Peluso is a very good friend. He builds a lot of very nice mics. The CEMC6 is a really good value. You probably will find a good deal at SoundPure in Durham, N.C. www.soundpure.com

Harold Thompson

Sean McCoy
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
High Profile Audio. Tony is very helpful.

http://www.highprofileaudio.com/