PDA

View Full Version : RIAA Curve

DigiLab
10-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Someone provided me a .WAV file of some historic material I want to use in a project. The material was taken from a custom 45rpm single (remember them?) but they recorded it from the turntable into the Mic input of their soundcard. We can't re-source the 45 rpm single as the person who has it is away travelling the world for another few weeks.

Can anyone point me to an EQ setting I could use to apply the RIAA curve to it and salvage it so I can use it.

Thanks,
Jim

Veit Kenner
10-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Can anyone point me to an EQ setting I could use to apply the RIAA curve to it and salvage it so I can use it.
Hi Jim,

Try a Google search with the terms "RIAA EQ curve". It brings up a lot of information about restauration of old vinyl. At a glance I did not see too specific descriptions, though.

Secondly Diamondcut (http://www.diamondcut.de/index_en.html) is a restauration software. They offer a demoversion. I assume there is an EQ preset included that does exactly what are you looking for. Maybe you can duplicate the preset's settings in SAW?

Good luck,
Veit

Angie
10-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Secondly Diamondcut (http://www.diamondcut.de/index_en.html) is a restauration software. They offer a demoversion. I assume there is an EQ preset included that does exactly what are you looking for. Maybe you can duplicate the preset's settings in SAW?

All Diamond Cut software has an RIAA preset in the paragraphic eq filter. I was going to suggest looking at their demo also. I don't remember how crippled the demo is. There is a chance that you will be able to apply the eq and save the file with just the demo.

Otherwise, Tracer Tek has a good pdf on understanding the RIAA curve including a screen shot of the Diamond Cut preset. www.tracertek.com/newway/riaaexp.pdf

DigiLab
10-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Angie and Veit,

Thanks for your replies.

I've done the search on Google and ended up with some good info as well as downloaded that PDF from TracerTek. I did notice they are talking about Cut and Boosts of +/-16db. Don't know I have tthat much scope in the SAW EQ.

I'll checkout the demo of Diamond Cut.

Thanks again for your assistance, it's be very helpful.

Jim

Bob L
10-29-2004, 12:56 PM
You've got +-15db with the built-in eq... and then all you have to do is patch in one of my eq plugins and add the extra boost and cut you need.

Bob L