PDA

View Full Version : Mic preamp and compression

andysharifi
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Hello Bob.

I have a channel strip that I was thinking of getting rid of. The only reason I haven't done so yet is because of the hardware compression, which I use for vocals. Can the compression in sawstudio work the same way as a hardware compressor when recording vocals, rather than record vocals first then apply compression? Give your advice on this. Thanks

Bob L
07-28-2008, 04:40 PM
This has been discussed many times before... obviously, the end compression results can be similar or better within SAWStudio... the only real difference would be when you are trying to record a hot signal level and do not want to clip the input hardware before the converters... then you must use hardware compression before the signal comes into the computer... but... once you feel comfortable with not pushing the signal to near clipping as you always tried to do in analog... then I really would rather compress after the recording because I get to tweak and adjust as much as I want once the entire mix is audible.

With SAWStudio, you do not need to push signal levels to the top to avoid noise... the internal processing engine can easily raise signal levels with no degradation in quality after the fact.

Bob L

Grekim
07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Depends on what you've been using the outboard compressor for. As Bob said it's useful for recording hot, but recording hot is not necessary and you could overcompress and dig yourself into a hole. However, you may want to use the hardware to coax a better take out of the singer if they are more comfortable with a compressor. Then you could put it just in the monitor path and still record an unprocessed signal. Finally, you may like a particular coloration your compressor adds. In which case you can still record "dry" and run your compressor through a return channel on mixdown. If you're looking for the most transparent/clear sound then I would use the SAW faders or input attenuator to even out the levels and then apply a fast compression to kill the transients. Using the input attenuator would allow you to use the built in compression. Otherwise you could use the Leveler or something similar in the post fx patch point.

andysharifi
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Sorry. I'm new to the forum. I didn't do a search on this topic before. I should have.

I don't need to have the coloration of my compressor. I was just used to using a hardware compressor with vocals, but if I can get around it and just sell the damn thing I would.

I decided to sell it now.

Im just trying to downsize now and stay mostly ITB. I'm using the demo of sawstudio, but am looking to purchase it as soon as I get rid of all the un-necessary equipment I have.

Thanks for the replies!!

Perry
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry. I'm new to the forum. I didn't do a search on this topic before. I should have.

I don't need to have the coloration of my compressor. I was just used to using a hardware compressor with vocals, but if I can get around it and just sell the damn thing I would.

I decided to sell it now.

I'm just trying to downsize now and stay mostly ITB. I'm using the demo of sawstudio, but am looking to purchase it as soon as I get rid of all the un-necessary equipment I have.

Thanks for the replies!!

Hi Andy... Just to pitch in here.. I used to use a fair amount of compression going to tape back in the analog days and kept doing it for a while out of habit but now rarely use any while recording, though I still occasionally do if there's a specific reason to.

As has been said here already, generally speaking it isn't really necessary with good digital equipment and usually I'd rather just leave the headroom and compress later as desired. Mostly my analog compressors are rather lonely these days. :)

Rabbit
07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I have a Drawmer that I use when tracking sometimes, mostly for vocals and anything that's pretty peaky. But really I don't use it that much the longer I'm working in the digital world. Your mileage may vary of course.

Sean McCoy
07-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I still use analog compression on individual instruments and vocals during recording, and plenty of it, because I like the way it sounds sometimes.....both sonically and the way it influences the performance.

Mark
Make that two, which is a really odd number. I try to use as little compression while tracking as I can get away with, but sometimes very aggressive stuff calls for very aggressive compression. And though I use plenty of ITB compression from UAD-1, Waves and SAW, hardware units like an 1176 can impart a special character. That said, it is more than possible to get great results with no hardware compression whatsoever.

Marvin
07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
...the way it influences the performance

With Tape Style Monitoring, you can easily have this with SAW, without hardware comp. Coloration though, that's another thing.

// Marvin

Grekim
07-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Okay I confess, if I know the singer I will set up a transparent optical compressor on the way in. Bass guitar too. I just underdo it, knowing I will add more later. I still consider it a luxury.
For highly colored sound, I think you'd want to get that happening as soon as possible so you know you're getting what you want.

Naturally Digital
07-29-2008, 07:38 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I still use analog compression on individual instruments and vocals during recording, and plenty of it, because I like the way it sounds sometimes.....both sonically and the way it influences the performance.

MarkIt's also WAY faster IMO to compress on the way in. Less time spent in the mixing stage. Whether it's with hardware or software, I compress on the way in for most voice-over/vocal sessions. I used to work the other way but I/we were spending too much time trying out different plugins, tweaking settings etc.

You're not the odd man out. :)

DominicPerry
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Mark

Mark,

Which hardware comps do you like to use?

Dominic

Ollie
07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Not the only odd guy out Mark. I listen to what is going on and decide if a specific comp of the 12 or so comps I have is needed. They all have a their own flavor. It is not a must to use compression while tracking , but I always use a touch with vocals, and sometimes bass, acoustic guitar parts, clean electric guitar, and perhaps just a smidge on kik and snare if needed.

For me, comps are part of the color palette.

Mark