PDA

View Full Version : Sac news

Leadfoot
07-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Any Sac updates on the horizon? Has the mad scientist figured out how to run live shows with brainwaves yet? :)

Tony

bcorkery
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
I think he's reverse engineering something from the Roswell crash. :D

Bob L
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
The final release version is coming together... perhaps one more pre-release update before that... but we'll see.

Bob L

mako
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Great news Bob - is there a wave player in the works as well?

mako

Bob L
08-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm plannin on it... although with the SAC/SS hooks, that seems not as necessarry.

By the way... you can use Loopazoid for a free wav player... patch it in and set some buttons to full length wav files... and the sample player becomes a pretty decent wav player.

Bob L

mako
08-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Thanks Bob - I tried Loopazoid and it didn't work for me. It loaded the sample ok but no noise. Have you had it working?

cheers

mako

Bob L
08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Works fine here in SAC... make sure to patch it in a pre-patch.

Make sure also that SAC's engine is running.

Also, another trick with this is to load a small blank sample in one of the buttons... then assign all the buttons to the same mute group and you can then trigger the blank sample to stop playback.

Bob L

mako
08-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Ahh - I think I had it in SS - in live mode.

Thanks Bob - I'll try that.

cheers

mako

mako
08-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info Bob

Loopazoid worked in SAC, though a couple of shortish samples I wanted to use just produced a click even though they are about 3 secs long. Play fine in Wavelab.

Anyway, it will give me just what I needed for some spontaneity.

cheers

mako

sebastiandybing
08-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Bob, I thought you where designing a player that can be patch into as
many channels in SAC as one need.
And it would be possible to start/stop players from scenes and with the
parameters x-fade between sceenes it would be possible to make fade in/out between players on will.
I had hoped that SAC would be the new option for theaters and so on:),
to me it sounds like you are planing a more mixer only program with the
ofcause good feature to link it with SAW.

To me SAC should contain all functions nessesary for a show, I don´t think most prof. will find it funny to load a third party sample player doing
a reheasel and leaning a new interface and logic in order to make things
happen while people are waiting.

SAC needs to be a save place to be, when I have done shows with 2 SAWstudios open at the same time, it always make my heart running faster just because I need to be extra focused on the setup.

I really hope SAC will become a self contained LIVE inviroment where
interface and functionality is working together.

Sebastian

mako
08-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Bob, I thought you where designing a player that can be patch into as
many channels in SAC as one need.
And it would be possible to start/stop players from scenes and with the
parameters x-fade between sceenes it would be possible to make fade in/out between players on will.
>snip (only to make the quote shorter)<

I really hope SAC will become a self contained LIVE inviroment where
interface and functionality is working together.

Sebastian

On the grounds that many future users of SAC may not want to purchase SS, SSL or SS Basic; a well integrated player would be fantastic.

I could use it right now - though I think crossfades etc. would need to be done with timeline programs - SS family.

mako

Bob L
08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
I plan on many items like the wav player... but for now, integrating with SS is working quite well.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
08-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Denis,
I hope Bob will work on the xfade between scenes...its a very powerful
feature witch I use on many shows.
In some cases its like having a ekstra hand.

The xfade is between al parameters like eq, dyn and so on, not just volume. its then possile to e.g. make a filter sweep on demand or what ever.

Sebastian

sebastiandybing
08-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Bob,
Is it possible to make a SAW trigger in SAC´s scene window ?

Sebastian

Bob L
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I am finishing up the scene features for the final release... yes, you will be able to cross between scenes...

I may add triggers for SS Playback as I further expand on the SACLinks to SS.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
08-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Will there be seperate in and out time ?

Sebastian

Bob L
08-04-2008, 11:19 PM
There will be scene change length for the time it takes to cross to the scene change.

Another view will control the construction of timeline based scene changes where you can trigger to time or SMPTE.

Lots of ideas also coming in the concept of sub scene changes that will be like automation within a scene that will track over time from the start of a scene change.

It's all on the todo list and hopefully most of these features will make the final release.

Bob L

mako
08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Denis,
I hope Bob will work on the xfade between scenes...its a very powerful
feature witch I use on many shows.
In some cases its like having a ekstra hand.

The xfade is between al parameters like eq, dyn and so on, not just volume. its then possile to e.g. make a filter sweep on demand or what ever.

Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian - this sounds very interesting.

cheers

mako

sebastiandybing
08-05-2008, 10:37 AM
It sounds like SAC will overrule the biggest consoles of today:eek::),

Sebastian

Bob L
08-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I sure hope so. :D

Bob L

Bill Park
08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
I've been asking Bob for show player capability since about 1996 or so. If that is what you need, look at SFX, which seems to be the default tool for theatrical work.

"The Rat Pack" (a Vegas-based show) just came through town, and they used SAWStudio as their playback, but it was straight ahead stuff, no real theatrical needs. When I asked what they might use to do a more complex show the sound guy replied as Bob does..Loopazoid.

Bill

Bob L
08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
We've done some extremely complex shows here in Vegas with SAWPro and SAWStudio and other plugin playback tools.

In many cases we run multiple copies of SAWStudio on the same machine handling different parts of the show... with complete automation... also feeding Midi and or SMPTE control to lighting boards and stage equipment like fog machines and projection screens... while also handling all the video playback at the same time...

Hard to imagine much more complexity than all that... the power is there... just jump in and learn it.

By the way... in some cases SAWStudio has also been the FOH PA console replacement... now... SAC fills that need.

Bob L

bcorkery
08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks Bob. All very exciting stuff.
My needs are a heck of a lot more elementary.

I'd love to see a show like this pushing all the limits!

sebastiandybing
08-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi Bill

I use both SFX and SAW...it all depends on the show.
and in some few cases I have been using watchout for audio also.

The good thing about SAC is that it combines the different elements of
a show into one package.
I just hope SAC will get playback functions similar to SFX, in all other
departments SAC will outperform other show programs.

I think Bob is doing shows where music and so on is prerecorded or a band
are playing to a click track/prerecording, and in such cases its just a matter of hit start and all performers much follow the timeline.

In my case I may have a few cues with click track for a conductor and sending smpte to the light department, but in most cases I have to follow
a score, this mean the condocter is in charge of the tempo and I have to
follow him, so I have make sure that sound efx are aloud to play ontop of
each other if the tempo is faster than the day before.

It may be possible to use loopazoid if SAC´s scene window can send midi notes to a VSTi instument, but I would rather use a device made by Bob.

Sebastian

Bob L
08-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Most every Vegas show has acts between production numbers that are definitely never timed the same each performance... I use Loopazoid with a midi keyboard to trigger sound effects that must hit at specific moments manually... works like a charm... you can layer 48 sound effects over each other and if you need more, simply patch in a second Loopazoid... all works pretty darn good. Its very easy to label the midi keyboard keys with large name tags for each effect or cue.

Basically, you have a freeform virtual sampler within SAWStudio or SAC.

But, unlike most hardware samplers, any cue button can hold any length song playback as well as short sound effects cues.

And, these random effects can be triggered while the SS timeline is playing back an underlying cue of music and video, complete with midi lighting and stage cues being sent out at the same time...

Pretty fun stuff really.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
I know I can put up a sampler, but somehow I feel it is much easyer to
hit one go/next button to activate a cue, ofcause a action scene with
lot of efx. would work well with a keybord.
But I often need to keep my eyes in the score and constanly
checking the conductor and then there is no room in my brain to make sure that I am hitting the right key on a keybord.

Would it be possible to let a scene generate midi notes, if so then I could
trigger a sampler from within the scene window and still use one key to run the show.

Sebastian

Bob L
08-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Well... of course SAC will do all this and more as the code evolves... you will love where its going... hang in there. :)

Bob L

Bill Park
08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
In many cases we run multiple copies of SAWStudio on the same machine handling different parts of the show... with complete automation... also feeding Midi and or SMPTE control to lighting boards and stage equipment like fog machines and projection screens... while also handling all the video playback at the same time...

Bob L

I don't doubt this at all. But I cannot sell it to any theatrical company, or any sound guy. And when you throw in the issue of various board operators may have to step in and do the show, it is a non-starter. There is just no confidence in a system running this way. SFX gives them what they want to see, in a way that they understand it.

Bill

Bill Park
08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
...I may have a few cues with click track for a conductor and sending smpte to the light department, ...I have to follow a score, ...I have make sure that sound efx are aloud to play ontop of each other...

Yeah, I know: standard theatrical stuff. I do it, too. Big book on top of the XL4 on a rolling stand filled with the dialog and scene changes, plus the mic bible.. who is on stage with what mic NOW, following the dialog, watching the conductor on a monitor, watching the computer, the meters, yatata, yadada ...

The Midas XL4 snapshot scene automation cue button setup is what we use for multiple operations, including sending control codes to SFX. I work in several theaters, with the XL4 in a couple of them, a couple of different Heritage models in a couple of them, some old Soundcrafts, and (thank goodness) the symphony hall just upgraded from their old Yamy 4k to an M7CL. This opens a lot of options there for other shows. (The symphony doesn't really use much, I could do them with almost any console.)

No, my only point to my post was that what you want has been asked for before, and Bob either sees no value in it, or just isn't interested in trying to capture that market. I show SAWStudio and people like what they see. But it can't do what they want in the way that they want to see it done. I can't fight that. Since I am just the visiting engineer, I have no pull or power.

Bill

Bob L
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Well its ok... people get stuck in their ways and its hard for people to try new ideas... I obviously understand that... I have dealt with it for over 16 years now. :)

I do things differently... and with much less gear and with much more efficiency, in my opinion... and its fun.

People are free to make their own choices.

SAC and SAWStudio offer some amazing powers that can replace multiple peices of equipment and software all at the same time... those with an open mind to change enjoy the benefits... those who like to stick with the standards, will do so... to me, its not a competition... I am simply offering an alternative approach... one that I find much more exciting.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Bill

I think Bob undestand us;)... I will now relax in the sofa with a good film
and wait:rolleyes::)

Sebastian

Bob L
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I am on it... hopefully the final release will be sometime before the end of this month.

I want it finished more than you guys. :)

Bob L

Iain Westland
08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Soory, Bob, but i dont think your any where near finishing yet!!! look at SAW, just gets better and better.

ooozze the man?

yooouze the man!!!

Iain

Bob L
08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Well... of course it will continue to eveolve after the release... but I am hopeful to get most all the main features up and running by the release.

Bob L