PDA

View Full Version : Clock connections

Bud Johnson
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
As part of our transition to SAC/mixer less, an added benefit will be tracking at greater than 48K. For Jazz and classical. Rock and hiphop can stay 44.1 . So out goes the Aardsync. In goes the Big Ben, till I saw the price! I will probably go with a BB, or a Lucid, but later when I have the $.
In the interim, I need the following to all talk (word clock) to each other.
RME Hammerfall
Lynx2-C
Apogee AD16 (not x version)
Of those 3, I suspect Lynx has the best clock and would be the best master. Mr. Berson IIRC, or maybe it was Bob, once suggested the AD would be the best master, so that would be the Apogee. RME is no slouch either. Suggestions please?

Monitoring at 96k will have to be out the Lynx as it's the only DA we have that can as of yet.

Whether or not I track thru RME or Lynx (or both, more on this later), I believe I can take clock from either even if one is not in use.......yes?

I also have a Tango (for I/O) and a Behringer ADA2000 (for DA headphone monitors), but they are 48K max so not really relevant, though I bet the Tango's clock is quite good.

Cary B. Cornett
07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Which version of Hammerfall? RME has a really nice stable clock setup, but I don't know how long ago they adopted it. I'm pretty sure my HDSP 9652 has it. RME points out that if they are following an external clock that has a bit of jitter, the clock coming OUT of the RME will have less jitter than the clock going IN (in at least some other devices from other manufacturers this is NOT the case).

With your setup, I would probably make the AD16 the master clock, and have everything else take its clock from the Hammerfall.

Bud Johnson
07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Which version of Hammerfall? RME has a really nice stable clock setup, but I don't know how long ago they adopted it. I'm pretty sure my HDSP 9652 has it. RME points out that if they are following an external clock that has a bit of jitter, the clock coming OUT of the RME will have less jitter than the clock going IN (in at least some other devices from other manufacturers this is NOT the case).

With your setup, I would probably make the AD16 the master clock, and have everything else take its clock from the Hammerfall.
Makes sense. As I'll eventually have a master clock, this seems like a good way to go till then.
Thanks Cary.