PDA

View Full Version : Locator naming routine change request

UpTilDawn
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Say Bob,

I think (based on having stumbled over this many times) that it would be very helpful if clicking on the Close button instead of OK when the Locator name box comes up would simply cancel out the "Shift/Click the locator list number" routine and leave the locator position set as it was (at the current location, or nothing such as the case might be).

Does that make sense?...... kind of difficult to explain.

I find myself accidentally Shift/Clicking the wrong locator when ammending the list, or simply forgetting to place the cursor by first selecting the locator number and then re-selecting it with Shift/Click...... thus accidentally overwriting the wrong cursor position.
DanT

Bob L
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Interesting point... but the close button on the rename dialog does cancel the naming process... unfortunately when you shift-click a locate slot... you already set the locate point to the current position.

Perhaps being more careful when selecting the locate point slot on the menu is the real solution.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Interesting point... but the close button on the rename dialog does cancel the naming process... unfortunately when you shift-click a locate slot... you already set the locate point to the current position.

Perhaps being more careful when selecting the locate point slot on the menu is the real solution.

Bob L

Possibly... being careful does not necessarily assure the correct decision.

Yes, the close button cancels the renaming, but not the locate point.... Unfortunately, the locate point must be determined before the choice to name or not is made with the current design.

The OK button acts to confirm the choice made and allows a change of mind.
I was thinking that maybe the point of committal could be changed to pressing the OK button to act as a confirmation of both location and name (no name).

Both designs require careful choice. The OK button gives a little wiggle room.

danT

Tim Miskimon
08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Possibly... being careful does not necessarily assure the correct decision.

Yes, the close button cancels the renaming, but not the locate point.... Unfortunately, the locate point must be determined before the choice to name or not is made with the current design.

The OK button acts to confirm the choice made and allows a change of mind.
I was thinking that maybe the point of committal could be changed to pressing the OK button to act as a confirmation of both location and name (no name).

Both designs require careful choice. The OK button gives a little wiggle room.

danT

Maybe a third radio button could be added for cancelling...?

UpTilDawn
08-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Maybe a third radio button could be added for cancelling...?

Or the cancel button could cancel the entire operation.;)