PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help? Problems with Emu card

PaulD
08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi folks,

I downloaded the SAWStudio demo but am having a problem with glitchy/echo playback and recording with my Emu 1212m.. it doesn't happen every time but is frequent enough to prevent me getting into it.

Have tried altering various settings in the Options menu, ASIO latency, preload buffers, priority class, everything I can see. Have tried recording at different sample rates and bit depths. Nothing on my PC seems to be under strain, CPU load fine, plenty of free memory. Closed down all unrequired processes / applications. Ran a virus check. I just cannot figure out a combination of factors that work reliably, nor can I pinpoint where the problem stems from. Increasing latency and buffers does not make much of a difference. Maxing them out did seem to reduce the occurance, but did not eliminate it. Obviously I'm seeking to use ASIO, but I've tried other driver models and the problem remains.

Does anybody here use a 1212m (or related) Emu card with SAWStudio? If so can you give me your working configuration settings? Any other suggestions would be welcome..

BTW other audio apps work OK, and my PC is thus:

XP Pro
Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB 4MB cache
Gigabyte P35C-DSR3
Seagate 350Gb Sata II
1 gb Elixir 800 Mhz
Asus Extreme 7600GS Silent 256MB DDR2, SLI, PCI-E, DVI, HDTV Out
Emu 1212m with latest drivers.

Cheers, Paul

Bob L
08-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Paul... what do you mean by echo playback?

Using ASIO drivers with no background virus programs and things like that in your Windows should give you a happy record/playback experience...

Are you using latency causing plugins in your test... or just straight ahead track by track recording?

I have seen where some wireless network cards searching for a network may cause random glitching with some systems... the Emu has not demonstrated the most high performance drivers in the field in the past, but I believe a few have used them succesfully with SAWStudio.

Bob L

PaulD
08-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm just trying to record basic tracks..

The echo is hard to describe. It's phasey, like the souncard isn't locking to the clock properly, or the signal is being double-tracked with a few ms delay.

Will work on it some more and write back...

Paul

Bob L
08-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Perhaps your driver is passing the signal thru as a monitor signal and you are hearing that plus the recorded signal monitoring back in SS... do you have Tape Style-Monitoring turned ON in the SS Options menu... if so... try turning it off... or turn off any monitoring from the soundcard driver applet itself.

Bob L

ivanoff
08-18-2008, 06:28 AM
salut
I've got an Emu 0404, and it's not very cool to work with in saw. I find 2 in and 3 out at 880 (buffer) but opften scratchs or crazy sound on a record track:mad: and record again.
So i 'll buy M-Audio delta 66 or omnium studio
Ivanoff

ivanoff
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Look at your DSP in Emu card, maybe one or more effects on aux send or insert (delay or reverb in insert on main mix or output or aux send)
Ivanoff