PDA

View Full Version : handling 96k files

Scott P
08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
A client brought in a 2-track file for editing that was recorded on Pro-Tools at 24/96.

I was having all kinds of trouble getting SAW to playback the 96k file either in 96k at all or without clicking if I went to 44.1. Apparently I did something right this time, because it seems to be working fine now. Would changing to "ASIO protocol" effect this? It seems that somewhere in the confusion (SAW giving me output device errors) SAWStudio lost my "Audio Device Setup" in my default. No, I didn't save a new default. So, I reset it to "ASIO protocol"

This is my first experience with 96k files. The editing is already done using the 96k file. As far as plug-ins and processing and getting it to 16/44.1k are there any big hints I need to know to make sure the transition goes well without clicks, pops or other issues? :o

Plug-ins are WAVES (misc), Levelizer or Reverberator. Except for some noise reduction, EQ and general polishing, there won't be a lot of stuff going on.

Thanks! :D:D
Scott

Bob L
08-23-2008, 12:53 PM
To play at 96k your soundcard hardware and converters must be capable... otherwise, your file will be live converted to the MT rate at your normal playback setting.

The RealTime SRC quality controls that conversion... the higher the quality setting, the slower the conversion... but you should easily be able to live convert dozens of tracks on todays machines even at the higher quality settings.

When building the final mix... leaving the MT rate set at the source file settings and changing the destination rate in the buildmix dialog will give only one level of conversion artifacts since it sums all tracks at the source rate and then converts the finished mix bus.... otherwise you are converting every track and then summing all those conversions together.

Bob L

TotalSonic
08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
When building the final mix... leaving the MT rate set at the source file settings and changing the destination rate in the buildmix dialog will give only one level of conversion artifacts since it sums all tracks at the source rate and then converts the finished mix bus.... otherwise you are converting every track and then summing all those conversions together.

Very good info to know! I know you mentioned this before but the wording above makes exactly what is going on with the different methods more clear to me now.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Scott P
08-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks Bob!

I'm still trying to figure out why I was having as much trouble the first several times I tried getting the file to play at 96k, but so far, so good. :)

Even still, as long as the final product renders right, no problems.

Scott :D