PDA

View Full Version : To 3 or not to 3

Carl G.
08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
That is my question.

Just got notice from MS update to update to Service Pack 3.
(I believe its the first time I got that notice since I've change some settings)

So... for SawStudio (and general office use) is it better to upgrade to SP3?

UpTilDawn
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Don't know if it's better, 'cause I never used sp2.... But sp3 is working fine on both office and recording machines here.
DanT

Richard Rupert
08-24-2008, 09:11 PM
I just put it on one of my two SAWStudio machines, and it's working very well. Both of mine are Intel boxes however... I've heard there was an "issue" with AMD CPUs, so be careful.

Bruce Callaway
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I have it installed on my laptop and DAW with no problems, Intel CPU in both cases...

CurtZHP
08-25-2008, 06:58 AM
If it ain't broke......

;)

AcousticGlue
08-25-2008, 07:22 AM
SP3 works fine except for my mstsc.exe (RDP icon) ended up broken after slipstreaming the SP into my XP disk. All else thus far has been fine. I found workaround for the other issue anyway.

BTW, I have firewall (XP) turned on, keep File and Printer Sharing turned off and do not run any anti-virus on computer and surf web from behind my Cisco-Linksys firewall. So updates in the Security vein for MSoft and Java are always needed. If you don't then good luck to you.

Carl G.
08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
SP3 works fine except for my mstsc.exe (RDP icon) ended up broken after slipstreaming the SP into my XP disk. All else thus far has been fine. I found workaround for the other issue anyway.

BTW, I have firewall (XP) turned on, keep File and Printer Sharing turned off and do not run any anti-virus on computer and surf web from behind my Cisco-Linksys firewall. So updates in the Security vein for MSoft and Java are always needed. If you don't then good luck to you.

Nice tips AcousticGlue.
Thanks, ya'll.
I'll do the upgrade.

AcousticGlue
08-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Why do you feel the need for the XP firewall when you are behind the hardware firewall? I would think that would be a bit of a bottleneck, and have been advised against it.

Mark

I have ran into no bottlenecks that I'm aware of. At times, I have another computer on my home network that is used or I may have someone else's computer and working on it. This keeps mine clean. If you also keep netbios and F&P Sharing turned off this keeps would attacks down as well. Netbios is not traversible to Internet though.

Carl G.
08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I have ran into no bottlenecks that I'm aware of. At times, I have another computer on my home network that is used or I may have someone else's computer and working on it. This keeps mine clean. If you also keep netbios and F&P Sharing turned off this keeps would attacks down as well. Netbios is not traversible to Internet though.

I keep MS firewall on as well for the same reasons - even though I'm behind a hardware firewall.

Please explain more about the 'netbios' and F&P sharing parameters.
Thanks

DominicPerry
08-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Most hardware firewalls are layer 3 only (layer 3 of the OSI network model). Software firewalls like ZoneAlarm work at layer 4,5 and occasionally above to detect application level attacks. So there is value in having both. Alternatively, virus software like Avast detects so many application level hacks that no firewall is needed other than a hardware firewall. The easiest solution is still to have a hardware firewall with software firewall and anti-virus on a networked machine and then set up internet connection sharing and an ad-hoc internal wireless network to your DAW. The DAW can then run without firewall or anti-virus because all the traffic has been filtered by the other machine.

Dominic

AcousticGlue
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I keep MS firewall on as well for the same reasons - even though I'm behind a hardware firewall.

Please explain more about the 'netbios' and F&P sharing parameters.
Thanks

If you are not sharing folders or printer from your computer you can uncheck this by going to Properties of your Network Connection and unchecking this.

Netbios is naming convention of your computer and uses popular port for connecting. I leave one computer on and the studio one off.