PDA

View Full Version : SoundFile Volume?

cgrafx
08-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Is there a way to control the volume of a clip in the SoundFile view?

I've been through the help files, but didn't see anything relevant.

Dave Labrecque
08-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Is there a way to control the volume of a clip in the SoundFile view?

I've been through the help files, but didn't see anything relevant.

Hi Phil,

The only way that I know of is to assign it to a different audio device and make the change there. I do this sometimes, assigning it to my Sound Blaster (where it can deal with different sample rates better, anyway), and potting it up or down as needed on my console.

Although, I usually want it turned up, because the MT has compression settings making stuff louder, and turning it up can drive peaks into distortion, so I end up turning the MT output down instead. Hmmm... alternatively, I guess I could add a limiter across the Sound Blaster output. Good idea. Thanks. :)

cgrafx
08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Phil,

The only way that I know of is to assign it to a different audio device and make the change there. I do this sometimes, assigning it to my Sound Blaster (where it can deal with different sample rates better, anyway), and potting it up or down as needed on my console.

Although, I usually want it turned up, because the MT has compression settings making stuff louder, and turning it up can drive peaks into distortion, so I end up turning the MT output down instead. Hmmm... alternatively, I guess I could add a limiter across the Sound Blaster output. Good idea. Thanks. :)

Hi Dave,

It seemed like this was the case. I did see that I could assign to specific output channels, but since I only have output running through my RME card, I was trying to avoid having to pull up total-mix.

Maybe a volume control could be added as a feature? (presuming there isn't some way to do this directly now)

In my case I was playing back some clips and the volume was way to loud (basically full-volume to my studio monitors)

Hmm.. having the SAW compressor and a volume control would be even better...

Dave Labrecque
08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Dave,

It seemed like this was the case. I did see that I could assign to specific output channels, but since I only have output running through my RME card, I was trying to avoid having to pull up total-mix.

Maybe a volume control could be added as a feature? (presuming there isn't some way to do this directly now)

In my case I was playing back some clips and the volume was way to loud (basically full-volume to my studio monitors)

Hmm.. having the SAW compressor and a volume control would be even better...

For now, I think it's Total Mix to the rescue. :)

Don't forget to lock the SF view window so that the assignment doesn't switch on you next time you transfer a region from the MT to the SF view. That'll gitcher goat quicker 'n' a Chupacabra in springtime. ;)

cgrafx
08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
For now, I think it's Total Mix to the rescue. :)

Don't forget to lock the SF view window so that the assignment doesn't switch on you next time you transfer a region from the MT to the SF view. That'll gitcher goat quicker 'n' a Chupacabra in springtime. ;)

ok dave... admit it.. you sit around with a dictionary and thesaurus just looking up words to add to your posts... :)

Bob L
08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
The original idea of the SoundFile view was to playback the source material with no modifications for an instant comparison to a processed signal in the MT.

Bob L

TotalSonic
08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
The original idea of the SoundFile view was to playback the source material with no modifications for an instant comparison to a processed signal in the MT.

Bob L

Which is the way I want it to stay!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

cgrafx
08-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Bob L

I thought it was a general place to preview sound files. (such as open a library of sounds and listen to them before inserting them into the MT)

If you have your monitors connected directly to your sound card, and you have a file with hot signal levels it blows you away. Your only option is to change the level in the sound card control, which of coarse then changes your output levels for your actual MT mix.

What do others do to manage this situation?

I'm open to suggestions.

TotalSonic
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I thought it was a general place to preview sound files. (such as open a library of sounds and listen to them before inserting them into the MT)

If you have your monitors connected directly to your sound card, and you have a file with hot signal levels it blows you away. Your only option is to change the level in the sound card control, which of coarse then changes your output levels for your actual MT mix.

What do others do to manage this situation?

I use this:

http://www.colemanaudio.com/prodimages/M3PHlarge.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
ok dave... admit it.. you sit around with a dictionary and thesaurus just looking up words to add to your posts... :)

Not quite. Though I am pretty anal about looking stuff up to be sure I'm using/spelling it correctly. ;)

I happen to be somewhat into "paranormal" stuff, so the goat-sucker thing just came to me. Nothing to be proud of, I assure you. :p

Dave Labrecque
08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree that the SF is invaluable for comparing processed and unprocessed audio. But I'd add that very often (usually?) we want the comparison to be at equal loudness. Not unlike a compressor's make-up gain control. :)

Anyway, my multiple device solution seems like a good one for those of us with multiple devices. If not large ones.

Bob L
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Well... it seemed like a good idea at the time... I have never had a problem with it... but everyone works differently... I guess I must pay attention to keeping most all my recorded soundfiles at a nominal level and therefore none of them jump out and blow me away level wise very often.

But... I do have plans for a complete module of processing for the SF window that will give you level, eq, etc and SRC... so hang in there.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
08-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Well... it seemed like a good idea at the time... I have never had a problem with it... but everyone works differently... I guess I must pay attention to keeping most all my recorded soundfiles at a nominal level and therefore none of them jump out and blow me away level wise very often.

But... I do have plans for a complete module of processing for the SF window that will give you level, eq, etc and SRC... so hang in there.

Bob L

Yikes! That would be quantum leap for the venerable SF View!

Probably the reason I run into the volume issue more often the some or most is that I do a lot of radio spot production, where the MT content is being made nice 'n' loud compared to the original source material.

Also, when doing film post audio, often the dialogue as-recorded is quite low (the mixer needs to allow headroom for unforeseen screams and such), and so, again, the MT is bringing the level up to finished specs.

That would be quite the enhancement, Bob. I'm sure lots of folks would be very happy. :)

cgrafx
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Bob L

I'm sure it was a great idea at the time. :)

I look forward to the updated version, sounds great.

thanks Bob.

pg

mako
08-27-2008, 08:14 PM
>snip<

Bob L

Excellent - I'll be looking forward to that.

Thanks Bob

mako

Cary B. Cornett
08-28-2008, 04:26 AM
I use this:

http://www.colemanaudio.com/prodimages/M3PHlarge.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Berson IMO no one should be without a proper control room monitor control, and I bet the one Steve pictured is a good example. The idea of connecting a D/A converter out directly to power amplifiers makes me VERY nervous, as you have the potential to blow things up. :eek:

Several years ago I went a bit crazy and built a somewhat more elaborate monitor control box with talkback and a small mixer to let me blend the outputs from 3 different computers and an outboard reverb.

Since then enhancements to SS have made most of that box obsolete. :o Lately I have been threatening to build something simpler. :rolleyes: