PDA

View Full Version : Removing MT track entries to left AND right of selected data

canipus
06-01-2004, 04:27 PM
If you highlight a range of data on a track in the MT view, what is the power user short cut for deleting the whole track and keeping just the selected range? i.e I want to delete the data on both to the left and to the right edges of my highlighted range.

Thanks and regards
canipus

Bob L
06-01-2004, 08:59 PM
You have a few options here... but the program is designed to operate on marked areas when there is one... not on other areas not marked...

So, one way to go would be to mark the front section up to the area of interest... and simply press the Delete key... then jump to the end of the section of interest and use the Shift-End-Key combo to mark from that position to the end and press the Delete key again.

You could also use the power of cutting the main region... place your cursor at the begin point of the area of interest and press the R key to split and remove the left section... then place your cursor at the end point of the area of interest and press the Alt-R key to split and remove the right section.

You could also use the power of layers and operate directly on your marked area by simply copying the marked area to a new layer... when you then switch to that layer, the rest of the audio data will not be there.

If you use the K key to split and create a region of the area of interest, you can then also simply place your cursor over the first section and press the Delete key and then place you cursor over the last section and press the Delete key again.

There are many more ways... do yourself a favor and read thru the manual from start to finish like a short story... all of these operations are there with many more details and they are listed in a good learning order as you advance through the manual.... don't try to memorize them all, but become familiar with all the terminology and possibilities before jumping into serious session work.

Above all... have fun with the learning experience. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
You could also use the power of cutting the main region... place your cursor at the begin point of the area of interest and press the R key to split and remove the left section... then place your cursor at the end point of the area of interest and press the Alt-R key to split and remove the right section.

I do this often, and I've become very VERY efficient in a short time. I simply use the U and associate modifier keys. Much quicker than R and alt-R. I have not found an instance where using update did not work properly, simply trim in the right order and it works perfect everytime.

May I point your eyes to www.kinkos.com 22-25$ to print out the sawstudio manual, double-sided, bound and shipped or pickup. Just upload the pdf and pay via credit card. VERY cool and very quick. Ive been reading my manual obsessively and find paper quicker than computer screen. Also allows me to take notes and highlight tasks as well as write notes in the quick reference section.

[edit] the layer idea is supreme! Im still learning the power of layers, many uses there!! I seem to be at a loss though. Is there a way to display all 4 layers at one time or must I switch betweem them? I've already found a few times where I needed to see 2 regions (drum editing) at once.

Bob L
06-01-2004, 09:16 PM
You must switch between layers in the current versions, but don't miss the power of switching multiple tracks at the same time, like your drum tracks... simply select the tracks first, then switch layers on any of the selected and they will all switch...

Realize, you can do this live during playback also, for instant listening comparisons between edits and performances...

Also realize that you can use different automation on each layer and the switch will chase the automation live also... therefore you can copy tracks to different layers and change the eq or compression... etc... and switch during playback for comparisons... very powerful way to help with final mix decisions.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-01-2004, 09:21 PM
OOOooooooo Automation though only is attached to layers? Maybe one step further and an option to attach channel settings to a layer? Imagine just switching between 4 different edits of a track, with appropriate channel settings? I cant imagine something that cool.

I wonder if it works like that already, I will have to try.

Thanks bob, makes much more sense now.

Yura
06-02-2004, 07:45 AM
OOOooooooo Automation though only is attached to layers? Maybe one step further and an option to attach channel settings to a layer? Imagine just switching between 4 different edits of a track, with appropriate channel settings? I cant imagine something that cool.

I wonder if it works like that already, I will have to try.

Thanks bob, makes much more sense now.

Sorry I not always shure I unrerstand all in your language, but do you mean it is not possible in SS now? But IT IS! exactly SO! and since you can easy copy all channels parametres (or elected) and paste them to any channels,
you can do everything of it.

Y. O.

Bob L
06-02-2004, 07:52 AM
All controls of the mixer that react to automation can be changed for each layer.

The patched plugins are global for each channel, but nothing stops you from having plugins bypassed on certain layers and not others.

Signal routing is the only thing that must remain constant on each layer.

Bob L

Burkeville
06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I always select one region and then hit the "end" key. It selects them all for me to the end. Then I hit delete. The same works with the "home" key.

Nice work Bob!