PDA

View Full Version : OT: shock mount for rack gear

DaveS
09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm running into an issue with a piece of bass gear that I have - I need to be able to isolate (sound vibration) from the rack it is mounted in. The items is an Ampeg SVP-Pro bass preamp that has tubes in it and is single-space in height. I know they have shock mount rack cases however, besides being pricey they are also bigger then a standard rack. Plus, I don't know if they would isolate bass frequencies from the preamp or if they are designed more for impact isolation. Ideally something that would suspend the preamp would be great.

The other option I am considering is finding something that can go between the rack and the top of the cabinet. the rack weighs about 60 pounds.

Any ideas?

Craig Allen
09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
You could try those monitor isolation pads. Primeacoustics makes one with a metal top.

IraSeigel
09-07-2008, 12:19 PM
SKB makes those isolation racks - the X-rack series, I believe.

Also, does the tube unit (your preamp, in this case) need to be on top of the bass cab? Why not set it to the side, perhaps on the lid to the bass cab case or another lid, to get it to "working" height.

There are also little gadgets to shock mount tubes. I'd bet even Ampeg has some recommendations.

Ira

studio-c
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I just read about this in Guitar Player mag.
Auralex amplifier isolation pads.

The GRAMMA! (gig and recording, amp and monitor, modulation attenuator)

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR263589

Cheers,
Scott

DaveS
09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Craig - I thought about those isolation pads - not sure how much weight they will take though - it might compress far enough to only be good for a non-skid surface..:) Maybe I should contact them and find out their thoughts - maybe it will give them another market to pursue...

Ira - I have looked at the SKB shock cases - they start to get rather bulky and right now I have to much stuff to tote...much more and I'll have to get a bigger vehicle. I don't know if they are designed mroe for impact shock absorbtion or vibration isolation (which is what I really need). I would love to be able to put the whole rack off of the bass cab, however that is not always possible in a lot of the clubs we play at. Both guitarists have Marshall half-stacks (they sound good but they really don't need something like that...) and by the time everyone sets up it is usually very tight. Regarding contacting Ampeg - I would have considered doing that when they were still Ampeg and not part of Loud Technologies, but since their aquisition it's been pretty dismal getting useful info out of them. I don't think a shock mount for the tubes would work - it's a single space preamp and the 5 tubes are horizontal - and the tube socket/PCB is attached to the chassis.

I'm thinking that having some sort of sling to hold the preamp in the rack - kind of like the old hard drive iso-mounts - might be the way to go if I can find something like that. Even some sort of rubber stand-offs for the front and somethng to support the back...

studio-c
09-07-2008, 07:44 PM
So I'm chopped liver? LOL... I think we crossed messages.
The Auralex will hold 300 lbs.

DaveS
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
So I'm chopped liver? LOL... I think we crossed messages.
The Auralex will hold 300 lbs.

ooops - sorry about that studio-c - I think you are right, we crossed messages!:eek:

300lbs...hmm, that might work. I'll have to drop them a line and get their input on what I want to do. That might be the ticket..

Thanks!

mycorn
09-09-2008, 05:39 AM
dave-

shock racks are designed for transport shock
but some isolation is a byproduct of the design

you dont note if there is extra space in you current bass rig
but if the rack is not full just put dence foam under
and above the pre to hold it in the rack

my drum in-ear amp is not rackmount and stays snugly
in the drum sub rack in it's little foam home

[fwiw]
mh

DaveS
09-09-2008, 09:06 AM
dave-

shock racks are designed for transport shock
but some isolation is a byproduct of the design

you dont note if there is extra space in you current bass rig
but if the rack is not full just put dence foam under
and above the pre to hold it in the rack

my drum in-ear amp is not rackmount and stays snugly
in the drum sub rack in it's little foam home

[fwiw]
mh

I might be able to add some foam support but I think most of the vibration is coming through the rack and mounting frame itself. Also, being a tube preamp I have to make sure I don't block any cooling vents.

I did come across some isolators that go by the generic term of bobbins. These have threaded studs on each side of a piece of rubber ~ 1/2" dia. x 1/2" long. I might have to make a support for the back of the preamp but these bobbins might be the ticket. I'm also waiting on a reply from Auralex.