PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access output devices when recording ???

mikebuzz
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I want to setup my console for monitoring while recording But I cannot access the output devices while setting up record mode ???
What am I doing wrong ???

Probably stupid but !!!!!!!!

Later
Buzz

Bob L
09-07-2008, 06:20 PM
To pass audio through SS for monitoring, you need to turn ON one of the Tape-Style Monitoring modes in the Options menu... Auto Audio-Monitor Switching Protocol.... then the input signals assigned to record meters will pass on through the virtual console to the stereo output bus and any aux send buses you want to assign... etc.

You will need to be stable at low latencies to do this.

Otherwise, if using a physical console, you should split the live signals to headphones from there and then SS is out of the monitor loop and does not require low latency performance... you just return a stereo output back to the physical console for playback and overdubbing.

Bob L

mikebuzz
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Bob I knew it was something like that !!
LAter
Buzz

mikebuzz
09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Bob when I have all outs used ( I.e. 1-1 ,2-2 etc.) I cannot acces the input devices ?? only the ch's ?? the input devices are all grayed out ??
Is this by design ?
I should be able to access all devices NO !!

Later
Buzz

PS: the title should be INPUT devices !!!!!!!!!!!

Bob L
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
The output device assignments should not interfere with the input device assignments.

Regardless if your output chans are all assigned to hardware device outs, when you pop a record meter up, you should have access to all input devices for the redcord meter source... as you start using input devices, they will gray out, since you can only use one input device per record source when assigning direct to the record meters.

If you use Live mode and assign the input devices to the mixer modules, you can assign the same input device to multiple channels... this is different.

Bob L

mikebuzz
09-09-2008, 05:11 PM
They are all grayed out when I go into record mode BOB ?? I have the outs setup as 1-24 to discreet outputs. And I cannot access the inputs ??? only the channels !!!

something weird is going on here ?? , I had some issues with the EDL on this one song the Comp and Gate did not work so I saved it and restarted the computer and it seemed to be OK >> maybe not related ??

Later
Buzz

Bob L
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Ok... I guess I am not understanding exactly.... you cannot access the inputs only the channels... not sure i know what you are saying here.

Give me a step by step so I can see what you're seeing.

Bob L

mikebuzz
09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
When I go into record mode ( with the outs setup as discrete outs 1-24 etc. ) ONLY the Channels are available , NOT the input devices , the input devices are grayed out .

If I used the default setup ( all tracks to masters ) the inputs become available

I am using a mix template to do this could it be something wrong with the template ??

mikebuzz
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
It was something bad in the MIX template file !! , I reset it up and all is fine now ??? maybe from an old version of SAW lite ???

Later
Buzz

Bob L
09-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Ok... glad you got if solved... you may have had inputs assigned to mixer channels somewhere down the template.... this would have grayed out the inputs available for record meter assignment.

Bob L

mikebuzz
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
The template was made with an older version , I'm on 4.1 now ???

Later
Buzz

Bob L
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
The older templates should still work as far as I know.

Anyway... now that its working... back to making music. :)

Bob L