PDA

View Full Version : SAC-SS record channel assignment

Bud Johnson
09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
In an overdub session today, adding/inserting a bridge to a song recorded in SawPro originally.
Imported edl into SS fine. All was well till toward the end.
Recording the input from channel 14 in SAC to SS. Channel 14 is mono, and it's input is from Channel 14 from the apogee.
I would arm a track in SS (which was linked to SAC), and select track 14 from SAC mixer channels list. It should come up 14R, but a few times it would come up 21. 21 is a track that is disabled in SAC. If I hunt around a bit, I would eventually select one (25) that would then load 14R. Sometimes no amount of twiddling worked and I had to close SAC-SS and reboot. This always worked.
Fooled around with changing 14 in SAC from mono to stereo and back again and reassigning it's input to just 14 from 13-14. I think that worked once......this was during a session so I wasn't keeping track of the exact steps. I always suspect operator error first, but I don't see how in this case. Will try to duplicate tomorrow with same edl. If I can I'll try with a new edl.
This was with only saw reverb on a return track and channel eq and dynamics.
XP-Hammer9652-no TCP/ip, 1x64 buffers, only one channel being recorded at a time.
0 slipped buffers though!
Really weird!
Will post results tomorrow.
Any thoughts?

Bob L
09-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Well... did you use the import mix from SAC or the export mix from SAW Linbk options? If so, you would have preset the input chan assignments across the board on the first use of those commands... so as you moved on to other tracks and popped up the record meter, the assignment would have been from the original import which pre-assigned all meters as if to do a live recording...

But... you should always be able to overide the assignment by clicking in the Input zone on the record meter and picking the channel in SAC you want to record from... also note that if you have a record meter up and want to now move down to another track while overdubbing and stacking performances, if you use the Track zone of the record meter and move it to the next track you want to record on, then the input assignment will stay put and travel with the meter.

Could this be what you were running into?

I have not noticed any bugs yet in this area.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Well... did you use the import mix from SAC or the export mix from SAW Linbk options? If so, you would have preset the input chan assignments across the board on the first use of those commands... so as you moved on to other tracks and popped up the record meter, the assignment would have been from the original import which pre-assigned all meters as if to do a live recording...Bob L
No, Neither as I was using a recording scenario template in SAC, and unnamed channels in SS as it was imported from SawPro. Importing from either to the other would have been pointless.

But... you should always be able to overide the assignment by clicking in the Input zone on the record meter and picking the channel in SAC you want to record from... Bob L
Yes, that's what wasn't working. I would select one, but it would load another.

also note that if you have a record meter up and want to now move down to another track while overdubbing and stacking performances, if you use the Track zone of the record meter and move it to the next track you want to record on, then the input assignment will stay put and travel with the meter.Bob L
Yes, when that was appropriate, I did that and it worked fine.

Could this be what you were running into?

I have not noticed any bugs yet in this area.

Bob L
Don't think so.
Could it have something to do with the edl origins being SawPro?
Or because of a lot of channels being opened, assigned, recorded to, over and over?
Dunno, I'll try and replicate tomorrow.

Bob L
09-08-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't think it has to do with Pro... once the edl is imported the links are between SAC and SAWStudio.

Perhaps it has something to do with chan re-ordering... I thought I had that stuff taken care of... try it with all tracks in normal order from 1 to...

See if you can give me a step by step to duplicate the issue.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 04:41 AM
The channel order in SS did get mucked up as I needed blank tracks but wanted to keep guitars together, vox together, etc.
Channel order in SAC was untouched.
Will report later today.

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I was able to immediately duplicate it.
Open mix session in SAC
Open SS, tie it to SAC, load EDL, attempt to arm a track with SAC channel 14. It loads channel 21S. Attempt to load channel 15, It loads 22S. 14 and 15 are mono tracks and should load as 14R, and 15L.
Sho nuff!
Shift click on track # in SS and I can load any channel correctly.
I can send EDL and mix session if that helps.
ASUS mobo, Dual anthlon, XPsp2, Lan disabled, dual matrox display. After boot I eliminate all networking related and unnecessary processes in task mgr.
It's down to 14 plus latency config and uphclean before loading SAC and SS. SS is set to affinity proc 2, SAC- affinity proc 1.
Using 4.3 and 1.0.
Anything other info needed I will gladly provide.

I'm a lot less concerned now that I know the work around, should only be a nuisance in overdubs as live or fresh tracking sessions have little reason to rearrange tracks. A total non issue for mixdown as no SAC needed.
(but it would be nice to get it fixed:rolleyes:)

Bob L
09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
No need... I see the problem... it is still connected to track re-ordering... I'm on it for the next update due in a few days hopefully.

Thanks,

Bob L

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Do you have super powers?