PDA

View Full Version : OT waking a computer.

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know a way to turn on a computer without physically touching it? (besides sweet talk)
I have the Daw in a 20" wide by 8' long space between my control room and the exterior wall of the building. This was built to hide hvac duct work and the CPU for my old Mackie D8b. As that's gone, I relocated my daw there as its sonically isolated, temp and humidity controlled. But getting back there to turn it on is a PITA! I was about to construct a Gilligan's Island type solution involving string, (and possibly coconuts), when I had a flash of sanity.
There must be a better way.

I have all networking stuff disabled in windows but not the bios. How does "wake on LAN" work. If I enabled this, would the computer boot everytime I turned on the hub it's attached to? Would my router "ping" it to wake it up?

Are there other ways?

Save me from myself. The guy at the hardware store already calls me "Mr. Jury Rig"

Fat Cat Music
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi
Your front panel button is a switch. There is no signal per se that runs through the wires, just a voltage. You can mount that switch anywhere and run wires to the motherboard. My switch panel is about fifteen feet from my computers.
DRBurroughs

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi
Your front panel button is a switch. There is no signal per se that runs through the wires, just a voltage. You can mount that switch anywhere and run wires to the motherboard. My switch panel is about fifteen feet from my computers.
DRBurroughs
Thank you so much! That would be the ticket!
I really did have this whole lever and pulley system designed in my head, but I think I like your idea better:o!

Bob L
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I believe you may also be able to just setup a power extension for the AC with a switch in the control room and set the computer bios to boot on powerup... most motherboards have this option now adays to reboot after a power failure when the power comes back on... in this manner, you are not re-wiring anything and do not have to break into the case... just plug the machine into an extension cord running to a switched power box in the control room.

Of course, another option is to always leave the machine powered up... as I do... many of us feel this is a better method for stability and longevity anyway... although I know that is another topic for debate.

Bob L

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Good to know, will explore that.

(Now what do I do with these squirrels!!!)

Iain Westland
09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
feed them to elvis:D

I would love to see your lever set up, that would have been great!!

Iain

Pedro Itriago
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
There's also wake on lan & wake on comm port, so you can turn it on by calling a modem.

Bud Johnson
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I think I'm pretty sad! It's amazing what you find out when you (I) get off your ass and look.
In my bios:
Wake on Lan...(Thanks Piedro)
Wake on PCI card, (if I turn on an adda, the computer will boot.)
Wake on mouse....(just move it!)
Wake on keyboard,....(you can choose any of 3 hot key sequences, or set your own!)
I chose CTRL>ESC . Seemed most appropriate given my.

attention span.

bcorkery
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Bud,

I like to keep my office computer on and wake on mouse, but my studio rig is always shut down at night. I think there are benefits and detriments for both schools of though.

Bud Johnson
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Bud,

I like to keep my office computer on and wake on mouse, but my studio rig is always shut down at night. I think there are benefits and detriments for both schools of though.
Bill, not wake from sleep, I mean move the mouse and it boots from an off state. Probably not a good idea if you live where there are tremors:eek:!
I really like the keyboard way.

Cary B. Cornett
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
My DAW can be set to power up "on keyboard", which is how I have it. However, the first time it is turned on after power is applied (or after a power interruption) you must use the front panel button. Since I use a KVM switch, the procedure is that I switch over to the DAW and then hit a key on the keyboard, which causes the DAW to power on and boot up. When turning off the DAW, I have to make sure to switch the KVM to the other machine before the DAW shuts off. If I wait too long before switching away, the keystrokes to switch the KVM cause the DAW to turn on.

The setup isn't perfect, but I seldom need direct access to the DAW to turn it on.

Pedro Itriago
09-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Most BIOS allow you to set up the behavior of the system after a balck-out. You can make it behave as you have now (use the power button after black-out) or allow for normal power after black-out.

My DAW can be set to power up "on keyboard", which is how I have it. However, the first time it is turned on after power is applied (or after a power interruption) you must use the front panel button. Since I use a KVM switch, the procedure is that I switch over to the DAW and then hit a key on the keyboard, which causes the DAW to power on and boot up. When turning off the DAW, I have to make sure to switch the KVM to the other machine before the DAW shuts off. If I wait too long before switching away, the keystrokes to switch the KVM cause the DAW to turn on.

The setup isn't perfect, but I seldom need direct access to the DAW to turn it on.

Bud Johnson
09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Most BIOS allow you to set up the behavior of the system after a balck-out. You can make it behave as you have now (use the power button after black-out) or allow for normal power after black-out.
Every time I black out, the damn thing is still on when I come to!

Carl G.
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I believe you may also be able to just setup a power extension for the AC with a switch in the control room and set the computer bios to boot on powerup...
Bob L

A word of caution on bios option to boot on power up:
My power company has breaker switches on their lines which quickly reset 3 times before shutting off - so occasionally on a power failure from lightning I get:
OFF.... Surge .... OFF .... Surge ..... OFF .... Surge...... OFF.
(any combination all within 10 - 15 seconds)....enough time to shut off the computer in middle of windows startup - which can corrupt files.

Dave Labrecque
09-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you so much! That would be the ticket!
I really did have this whole lever and pulley system designed in my head, but I think I like your idea better:o!

Rube... er, Bud -- you're cracking me up with the visuals on this. Sherwood Schwartz would be proud. As well as Mr. Goldberg. :p