PDA

View Full Version : Special Request

Perry
09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Someway to disable the 'D' key command?

That would be very helpful sometimes.. like now.

Marathon mixing... for days now... constantly hiting control/s to save as I work... a few times finger slips to the 'D'... tragic results ensue if this goes unnoticed in the thick of the battle.

IS there some way to keep this from happening? Yes I know... be more careful... I mean besides that. :rolleyes:

Otherwise.. SAWStudio is rocking right along here. :)

Thanks,
Perry

Bob L
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way... but not really.... this is a non-productive journey, in my experience, trying to create keystrokes and mouse clicks that users can never get into trouble with... by doing so, you take away all the potential power of the interface... and you still will not succeed.

No matter what keystroke does what, there is always another key right next to that one that will do something different and potentially trouble causing if done by accident.... no matter what button you can click on, a slight slip of the mouse and you click on something else.

This is exactly my point in all of these types of discussions... there really is no fix for this... except to pay attention and take your time... especially in the heat of battle. :)

If I defeat one keystroke, someone else wants a different one defeated, then someone else wants a new one added... etc... it is truly like the dog chasing its tale... nothing really gets accomplished by all the focus on trying to make it safe no matter what...

Better use of our energy... learn how it all works... and then be careful and take your time when applying that knowledge.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm just really glad that "J" and "~" don't do anything nasty in SAW........ or DO they?!?!:eek:

DanT

Perry
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way... but not really.... this is a non-productive journey, in my experience, trying to create keystrokes and mouse clicks that users can never get into trouble with... by doing so, you take away all the potential power of the interface... and you still will not succeed.

No matter what keystroke does what, there is always another key right next to that one that will do something different and potentially trouble causing if done by accident.... no matter what button you can click on, a slight slip of the mouse and you click on something else.

This is exactly my point in all of these types of discussions... there really is no fix for this... except to pay attention and take your time... especially in the heat of battle. :)

If I defeat one keystroke, someone else wants a different one defeated, then someone else wants a new one added... etc... it is truly like the dog chasing its tale... nothing really gets accomplished by all the focus on trying to make it safe no matter what...

Better use of our energy... learn how it all works... and then be careful and take your time when applying that knowledge.

Bob L

Thanks Bob... I don't take it wrongly. :)

Yes, I understand what you're saying. What I was thinking of was another entry under the MultiTrack menu similar to the 'Disable Right-Mouse-Btn Engine Toggle', etc.

To me the 'D' key is overly 'destructive' for something so easily done... similar in some regards to the 'Spacebar/Return Engine Toggle' or the 'Retake All Function'.. which can be disabled.

I don't have any trouble with those ones and have never used any of these 'disable' functions.... The 'D' is the only thing I have trouble with... errr... well.... more or less. ;)

At any rate... Not a biggie.

I suppose I could use a small pair of pliers or a flat screwdriver and 'disable' that 'D' key myself...... directly on the keyboard! :eek: :D

Hmmmm... I might be OK with that actually. :)

Back to the battle....

Thanks again,
Perry

bcorkery
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Perry,

FWIW, I often hit the L key when I'm trying to hit the L, I mean the L, darn! The K key, whew! Much less destructive ... all I get is a "you dummy" warning. :)

Grekim
09-11-2008, 04:49 PM
What ya need is some sort of cap that goes over the D key, like a box with one open side that fits over the key :)

Perry
09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Perry,

FWIW, I often hit the L key when I'm trying to hit the L, I mean the L, darn! The K key, whew! Much less destructive ... all I get is a "you dummy" warning. :)

:rolleyes: Yep... I'm.. errr...familiar with that one too.. but at least that one doesn't get me into any real trouble. And for what it's worth.. I did take typing in school (waay back with a manual typewriter) and I type fairly well. As I recall there was only me and one other guy.. the rest where all girls! And a nice looking teacher as well.. and they all thought we guys were... well... 'something' for even being there. Now.. that was a pretty ok class. :) The teacher was kinda easy on us but I did learn to type!

I just remember thinking that learning to type might turn out to be something handy to know some day, even if I wasn't going to be a secretary. :D

Boy, was I ever right on that one! :)

Show of hands.. how many 'dummy' warnings to you guys typically get during a day? :)

Perry
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
What ya need is some sort of cap that goes over the D key, like a box with one open side that fits over the key :)

Hey... great idea! I'll have to look into that... not sure there's room to fit anything though.. but maybe.

Thanks!
Perry

Grekim
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Hey... great idea! I'll have to look into that... not sure there's room to fit anything though.. but maybe.

Thanks!
Perry

I suppose you could make something. If it takes a half hour to make, but saves you from having to redo an hour or more of work....

Maybe there's a game piece out there that would work, something like a Monopoly house.

Kind of a whacky idea.

Dave Labrecque
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
:rolleyes: Yep... I'm.. errr...familiar with that one too.. but at least that one doesn't get me into any real trouble. And for what it's worth.. I did take typing in school (waay back with a manual typewriter) and I type fairly well. As I recall there was only me and one other guy.. the rest where all girls! And a nice looking teacher as well.. and they all thought we guys were... well... 'something' for even being there. Now.. that was a pretty ok class. :) The teacher was kinda easy on us but I did learn to type!

I just remember thinking that learning to type might turn out to be something handy to know some day, even if I wasn't going to be a secretary. :D

Boy, was I ever right on that one! :)

Show of hands.. how many 'dummy' warnings to you guys typically get during a day? :)

It's the K vs. L key thing that Bill describes that gets me.

BTW -- as they decommission battleships and subs and missile silos, you should be able to find some of those little button cover dealies at surplus shops. Hinge included! :D

As a freshman at a Jesuit-run all-boy high school, we were required to take typing first semester (yes, on manual typewriters). I still think of it as one of the most valuable classes I've ever had!

Rabbit
09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I took typing 'cause the class was full of chicks... I flunked the class...:o

andy cross
09-12-2008, 05:11 AM
I've written a script using AutoHotKeys which switches off the "d" key. It just runs as an .exe - very straightforward. Get in touch if you would like it and I'll send it to you.

Tim Miskimon
09-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I suppose I could use a small pair of pliers or a flat screwdriver and 'disable' that 'D' key myself...... directly on the keyboard! :eek: :D

Hmmmm... I might be OK with that actually. :)

Back to the battle....

Thanks again,
Perry

How about gluing a thumb tack pointing upward to the D key?
That will keep you away from it...:D:D

Tim Miskimon
09-12-2008, 07:42 AM
What does the D key do?
I often hit it in place of the F key when doing fades - now I'm wondering what destruction has happened without me noticing....:eek:

Perry
09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
I've written a script using AutoHotKeys which switches off the "d" key. It just runs as an .exe - very straightforward. Get in touch if you would like it and I'll send it to you.

Awesome!!! :)

andy cross
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
The code amounted to "d::", which is saved as a text file then converted to an exe, so perhaps not the most demanding piece of programming I've undertaken.

I can recommend AutoHotKeys for anyone wanting to create some hotkeys for the few remaining key combinations in SS that don't actually do anything. (I've got the right hand Window key acting as shift+space to start SRP recording, for example).

Perry
09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
What does the D key do?
I often hit it in place of the F key when doing fades - now I'm wondering what destruction has happened without me noticing....:eek:

Put a file on the multi-trk.. place the cursor in the middle then hit the 'D' key.

Then do the same somewhere in a full set of trks for a mix. :) What happens depends on more factors than one but you'll see pretty quick I think that you don't want to do this unless you know exactly what the results will be... and definitely not by accident. :)

Perry

added: be sure to first save that test EDL with a new name.. like 'D-test' maybe? :rolleyes: ;)

Dave Labrecque
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I might if I were at the studio. You might try using circumspect. :rolleyes:

What's that? And why isn't it capitalized if it's a proper noun?

MMP
09-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I can see where accidental D key hits could be a problem when mixing.

I use it all the time when editing VO and FX, however.

I use an X-key macro recorder for almost all commands in SAW. In my setup the cntrl S macro is not next to the D, so I have never run into this issue.

Regards,

MM

bcorkery
09-12-2008, 12:34 PM
You might try using circumspect. :rolleyes:Even if I'm not Jewish? :confused:

Dave Labrecque
09-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Actually it's an adjective, but commonly used as a noun, although perhaps incorrectly.;) It sounded better than cimcumspection, which sounded painful.

And why would you want IT capitalized?:confused:

I wouldn't.

'Circumspection' or the incorrectly implemented 'cirumspect' would not require capitalization as they are not proper nouns in that context.

Commonly used as a noun? Never heard it used that way, myself.

The way you used it, I thought maybe 'Circumspect' was some cool new app that would find and open help files for you at the click of your mouse. :p

Dave Labrecque
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
No pain, no gain.:cool:

Gain? Really? I don't buy it. I do, however, buy from Smilin' Bob. ;) (not to be confused with "Codin' Bob")