PDA

View Full Version : QT Streaming to AVI

bcorkery
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I just got a streaming QT file and tried to export it to AVI.
I got about 120 megs of a blue "Q".

I'm trying to do a narration for Western Michigan University. I don't necessarily need the video but it would be nice.

If there's a way to do this in-the-box, please hip me to the way. :) I'm feeling particularly groovy today.

Thanks,
Bill

Carl G.
09-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I just got a streaming QT file and tried to export it to AVI.
I got about 120 megs of a blue "Q".

I'm trying to do a narration for Western Michigan University. I don't necessarily need the video but it would be nice.

If there's a way to do this in-the-box, please hip me to the way. :) I'm feeling particularly groovy today.

Thanks,
Bill

RiverPast Video Cleaner (with the QT option)

DominicPerry
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I asked a lot about converting QT a little while back and I believe the consensus was - QT Pro. It's about $30 I think.

I tried a bunch of things and not much worked at all, let alone well. So QT Pro it is.

Dominic

Sean McCoy
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I asked a lot about converting QT a little while back and I believe the consensus was - QT Pro. It's about $30 I think.

I tried a bunch of things and not much worked at all, let alone well. So QT Pro it is.

Dominic
I always use QT Pro now and it has been very reliable. Vegas will usually handle it as well, but QT Pro is faster and easier.

Dave Labrecque
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I always use QT Pro now and it has been very reliable. Vegas will usually handle it as well, but QT Pro is faster and easier.

QT Pro is my go-to for such conversions as well.

MMP
09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
QT Pro is always used here, except for long programs where there is a problem with AVI file size. In these cases I open up Vegas which can convert long form video successfully. I don't actually know where the file size cut off is(4 gig, maybe), but I pretty much use Vegas on anything longer than 20 minutes.

Regards,

MM

bcorkery
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm using QT Pro 7 and the export function gives me the Big Blue Q.
I'm trying to save the stream as a mov file first and then maybe I can export as an AVI from that.

Thanks,
Bill

MMP
09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
On some streams you can do a right click, save file as...

I don't know if copy protection could be the cause of the Q...I have never seen a conversion act up that way.

Regards,

MM

bcorkery
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Michael. I'll give that a shot.

-Bill

Dave Labrecque
09-12-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm using QT Pro 7 and the export function gives me the Big Blue Q.
I'm trying to save the stream as a mov file first and then maybe I can export as an AVI from that.

Thanks,
Bill

How are you currently trying to save the stream?

bcorkery
09-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I've tried "save as" and "export". Neither works.
Central Michigan U sent me a DVD but I'd still like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
Bill

Dave Labrecque
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I've tried "save as" and "export". Neither works.
Central Michigan U sent me a DVD but I'd still like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, looks like there are some programs and even websites that will allow you to save video streams to a file. Google "save video stream" or "capture video stream" and check out the options.

bcorkery
09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Dave. Have you used any of the programs/sites?
Any endorsements?

I find it odd that a QT stream can't be exported or saved as. Michael made a point about copy protection, this may be the case here. I'll ask the guy at WMU.

Thanks,
Bill

bcorkery
09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Central ... Mt. Pleasant.
Oops! :o

Dave Labrecque
09-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks Dave. Have you used any of the programs/sites?
Any endorsements?

I find it odd that a QT stream can't be exported or saved as. Michael made a point about copy protection, this may be the case here. I'll ask the guy at WMU.

Thanks,
Bill

The one I tried the other day was a YouTube-specific stream recording site. Now, I can't find it. See if there's any good info here:

http://www.how-to-capture-streaming-media.com/

Sorry, that's all I know.

bcorkery
09-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks Dave. Nothing specific about a QT stream but I'll dig deeper later. Right now I'm getting ready for Kathy Kohner Zuckerman, the inspiration for the Gidget craze, to come in and read a children's book. I brought in my surfboard in hopes she'll sign it. Nothing wrong with being shameless ... is ther? :o

Dave Labrecque
09-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks Dave. Nothing specific about a QT stream but I'll dig deeper later. Right now I'm getting ready for Kathy Kohner Zuckerman, the inspiration for the Gidget craze, to come in and read a children's book. I brought in my surfboard in hopes she'll sign it. Nothing wrong with being shameless ... is ther? :o

You go, Moondoggie! I just did a quick Wiki read on her. Very cool. Have a good session! :) Mics up! :o :p

bcorkery
09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
She was great! Brought us all signed books, signed my board, "Many more waves." I reminded her we'd be surfing sound waves today. The book was Surf Angle, kind of a bedtime story about the ocean going to sleep for the night.

Dave Labrecque
09-18-2008, 07:22 AM
She was great! Brought us all signed books, signed my board, "Many more waves." I reminded her we'd be surfing sound waves today. The book was Surf Angle, kind of a bedtime story about the ocean going to sleep for the night.

Nice. :D

Perry
09-19-2008, 01:08 PM

That's gotta go down as one of the coolest recording sessions ever! :)

bcorkery
09-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I'm still beaming about it.
I got an email from her this morning thanking me and bragging how she caught some early waves in Malibu.