PDA

View Full Version : SAC & Remote

Leadfoot
09-12-2008, 02:06 PM
So I got a new laptop, first one ever. It's a Toshiba running vista sp1 with 3 gigs ram, 17" widescreen. I didn't want vista, but it's working better than I thought it would, especially for 6 hundred bucks.
I can get the remote to see and operate Sac across the wifi network, but I can't open a session from the remote. I can close a session (on the laptop) that I opened from the host, but I can't open one. Am I supposed to be able to do so? When I try to open a session from the remote, I get "trouble opening file, file may be missing". I thought I had all the appropriate shares set up properly, maybe there's something I don't know about vista that's not allowing it to work.

Thanks,
Tony

Bob L
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
You must first have admin read and write user rights between the machines. This must be setup outside SAC/SAW.

You should be able to copy and paste files between the machines in the Windows explorer... and your drives must be set to share data in both directions.

Also... if you are using passwords for network computer shares, you must be signed in with your password before opening SAC/SAW.

Bob L

Leadfoot
09-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I've got permissions everywhere and I still can't open a saved session file from my laptop or my other hardwired networked computer. I can open the session file remotely as long as I don't have 'activate tcp/ip host master mode' toggled, but as soon as I activate it, it makes the session go away.

If I open the session from the host, it works fine. I just can't save or re-open anything from the remote. I'll keep trying.

Tony

Leadfoot
09-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Ok I got it! I thought I could just share the Sac folder. I just set it to share the whole C: drive and now it works. Why can't I just share the Sac folder?

Thanks,
Tony

Bob L
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Well... you must share every drive/folder where you will be accessing data...

Bob L

ecroxford
02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm having the same problem... However.. i've shared all that can be shared:).
I'm not sure what file it's referring to... Sac Remote makes the tcp/ip connection. Then i get the file error message. THis is with my new acer netbook... so... windows xp home on that.... connecting to my laptop windows xp pro.... using a new wireless router... i'm able to mount a drive on the laptop from the netbook... All looks well except the error and no access
(Trouble Opening FILE! (File Possibly No Longer Exists)

Just tried it reversed.... ran sac on the netbook and sac remote on my laptop.... connected ok and no trouble with the file issue.... weird

ecroxford
02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Wll now things appear ok... after making the connection the other way it fixed the first way... go figure.... almost there now

Well back to frustrating now.... i try to connect and get the same trouble opening file... i'm connected just fine...
the host shows me connected with user rights FOH... yet the remote shows no access...
Something isn't right here ..... Are you out there Bob....

I just noticed... when i move a fader on SAC my remote fader moves also... so the link is solid... it just won't allows me to control from the remote... i've given it FOH rights by computer name and by IP...

I must be missing something in the setup...

thanks
Ed

Bob L
02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I have suggested this in the helpfile and in other message threads as a way to test for the proper access rights.... try this and see if it helps.

Forget SAC for a moment... open the Windows Explorer on the remote machine... go to Network Neighborhood and look for the host machine listed... then try to click on it and see the shared drives... if you see none... start there... you have to share the drives you want to access on the host machine first.

If you see the drives listed, try to click into the folder where you will store your SAC sessions... can you get there... if not... check the sharing on the host machine again.

If you can get there... then try to copy a session file from that drive and then try to paste it in a folder on the remote... if that is no good... back to sharing rights on the host.

If you can successfully copy the file from the host to the remote... now try to copy a file from the remote and paste it back into the host machine same folder where your SAC sessions are... if that does not work... you still have sharing rights issues on the host machine.

If all that works... then you can run SAC and make a SAC-Remote connection and should have no problems.

Make sure you allow users to modify the drive contents when creating the share on the host machine... there are many levels of permission rights for the different users or groups that may have to be set depending on how your network is configured... and whether you are using XP or Vista... Vista can be much more complex.

Bob L

ecroxford
02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
everything is shared everyplace... both machines are xp ... one pro and one home(the netbook)... it did connect fine... 1 time.... when i first bring up the remote it shows FOH ... then i get the error and it goes to No Access... when i look at SAC to see the remotes connected it shows the remote fine... and FOH access but alas not access.... when i use sac the meters on the remote show the levels changing just fine... however no labels or other info has come across.. still perplexed... i'll pursue more.... I'm assuming when you say the folder where the sessions are being stored you mean the install directory. Also i can't bring the machines up in the network browser due to a domain issue(laptop is in a domain, remote is in a workgroup) ... thats why i'm using the IP address for the host in the remote... else it won't find it... is that a problem..

Thanks again
Ed Croxford

btw... i have another day to play with this before a gig.. not a big deal..

Bob L
02-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Ed..... you must be in the same workgroup... otherwise you will fail the copy/paste tests I mentioned (I think)... please try the tests... get them working and my guess is all troubles will vanish.

Forget what SAC sees or does not see... you MUST get the file access copy/paste working first.

I hardly doubt you can do that when both machines are not in the same workgroup... but perhaps I'm worng there... I am not a network expert.

And... no... not the install folder... the folder where your session is... this can be anwhere on any drive of your choosing... when the remote connects it attempts to create a snapshot of the current host session and then read that file across the network to get the current session settings... if it cannot read that file... no go.

Bob L

ecroxford
02-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Strangely the problem was solved this morning.. WHen i first tried... same problem... i then saved default preferences on the remote machine and bingo... now things work... no idea why... all the setup is the same.... master is in a domain and remote is in a workgroup.. that doesn't cause a problem.... Just happy it's working...

:):)

Bob L
02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Good news... although... it would have been nice to understand the solution. :)

For now... make sure not to save the remote prefs while the connection is active... 1.5 may cause problems if the remote auto connects when first running SAC-Remote... this has been fixed in the soon to come 1.6.

Bob L

nobasil
12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I had the same error message and worked on it for hours. What was confusing was that I was able to access the HOST machine from the REMOTE by typing in its IP address in Windows Explorer, but not through Network Places/Workgroup Computers. I kept thinking that I must have access since I could access the HOST in at least one way. That was wrong.

I don't think I ever fixed TCP/IP, but I found a work around. I did this on both machines:
1) In the properties for my wireless connection - Install - Protocol - NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
2) Still in properties for my wireless connection - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties - Advanced - WINS tab - Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

NWLink is not supposed to be as good for some reasons, but it's the only way I could get it to work.

------------------
Nathan
http://www.nathanlively.com
http://www.zedosfrangos.com

905shmick
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
This will be fixed if/when SAC starts using its own IP transport and stops using windows networking for transferring/saving files. This will also make it easier to deal with across newer versions of windows.