PDA

View Full Version : Mono output

Mogers
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Bob

When you set an output strip to Mono using the red button, the physical output assign still talks to a Stereo device. To send the signal to one mono physical device (e.g. to feed one monitor wedge) you have to pan the output signal. This works, but it could be argued that it's not particularly elegant - what you are really trying to do is routing, not panning.

Would it be possible to make the Output Assigns capable of selecting either Mono and Stereo physical outputs? - in the same way as the input strips can receiver either mono or stereo physical inputs.

Just a small thing...

cheers
Mark

Bob L
09-16-2008, 04:37 PM
You don't have to pan for one output... just use the output mono switch and both sides feed the same signal... feed your mono wedges with the left or right output only.

This can actually be handy to split the signal to separate amps for the left and right side of the stage, even for mono wedges spread across the stage.

At this time... all output chans talk to a stereo device... but it hardly seems feasable that you will run out of hardware outputs, since you are getting outputs for all inputs... much more than most physical consoles.

So... a 32 channel input system also gives you 32 outs, setup as 16 stereo out buses... my guess is you will have many outs not being used on the back of your converters. :)

I did consider creating split mono outs, but after re-thinking it, I have moved that idea down the todo list, since it most likely will never come up much in a real situation.

Bob L

Mogers
09-17-2008, 12:57 AM
OK - that makes sense.

If you are using a bunch of ADA8000s then you do indeed have as many physical outputs as you have inputs, and the doubling up would not be a problem - as you say, possibly even a benefit.

But many other hardware configurations will have more inputs than outputs. So, for example, if you are using a RME Fireface with a couple of RME OctaMics - a reasonably likely situation - then you have 26 analogue inputs but only 8 analogue outputs, set up as 4 pairs. Once one of them is set up as the FOH stack, that only leaves 3 pairs for monitors - and it is quite possible that you might want 4 or more separate mono monitor feeds.

This can be sorted using the pan controls and mono button, with one monitor mixer sending only to device left and another only to device right. But not as elegant, IMHO, as true mono output routing.

So, no worries, as there are much more important things higher up the to-do list, of course!

cheers
Mark

Bob L
09-17-2008, 02:27 AM
You are correct, but I highly recommend using hardware that does indeed give duplicate ins and outs...

Bob L