PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access

txshonk
09-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I am running SAC and just installed the Remote version on a laptop.

I have shared all drives and I am able to copy and paste files back and forth.

Once I activate the host i get the icons accross the top, however the two PC pic has a red x. Is this because I dont have any remote connections or does this indicate a problem establishing the host?

Then when I click on activate Remote on the laptop the TCP/IP connection fails every time.

Any suggestions?

Bob L
09-20-2008, 02:53 PM
The PC icon will show a connection without the red x when you make a good connection.

If you have signed in (in Windows) and can copy files back and forth between the two machines, the next thing would be to make sure you have the port numbers set the same in SAC and SACRemote.

Also, make sure you are typing the host name correctly in SACRemote... check for spaces or underline chars... etc.

Bob L

txshonk
09-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Bob -

Thanks -

I double and tripled checked... port numbers are the same and I am keying the host name in the remote exactly as in the menu bar in SAC.

I'll mess with some more and see what I can figure out tomorrow.

Dave

Wam3
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I had the same problem when I was not using the same versions of each program ..... I had SAC 1.1 and SAC Remote 1.0, loaded SAC Remote 1.1 and it connected right up....

W

Bob L
09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
If you are not version matched, SAC Remote will warn you with a message.

Bob L

mako
09-23-2008, 02:09 AM
I had SAC 1.1 and SAC Remote 1.0, loaded SAC Remote 1.1 and it connected right up....

W

Ah - didn't realise that could be a problem.

Thanks

mako

txshonk
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I was using SAC 1.1 and Remote 1.0. So I upgraded both to 1.2, but I still cant connect remotely.

I went into windows configurer and reactivated all services - I was wondering if in my attempt to optimize my DAW windows configuration I had turned off a necessary service for the SAC remote to connect into the host.

So any other hunches anyone else might have I'd love to hear them.

Bob L
09-24-2008, 12:06 AM
If you use the Windows explorer... can you copy a file from the remote machine and paste it to the host... then can you copy a file from the host and paste it to the remote?

You may have a firewall service turned ON blocking the use of the port you are using in SAC for remote communication... or a hardware firewall may be blocking you... you may have to open a port for communication... or try different basic ports from the list in SAC where you set the TCP/IP port... both the host and remote must be set to the same port.

Bob L

txshonk
09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
OK - its definitely a problem with my windows configuration.

For some odd reason I have lost the Icon on my control panel for the Windows Firewall on my host PC. I found how to create a shortcut on the desktop to turn off my windows firewall, when I did I was able to remote in to the Host.

So I guess I have three options:
1) Run with no Firewall when remotely using SAC.
2) Web search like crazy to figure out how to fix my Windows Firewall
3) Cut my loses and go with a 3rd party firewall.

I guess after I get that figured out I cab start toying with the SAW link.

Thanks for all your input.

Dave

Bob L
09-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Make it easy on yourself and use a simple DLink or Lynksys firewall router box for $69... this firewalls you from the outside internet world, but leaves your internal network connections free to share... works with no hassles.

Bob L