PDA

View Full Version : automation doing recording...

sebastiandybing
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I just want to share my new discovered time saver in Saw...
A week ago I got a Behringer BCF2000 to use with SAC, but ofcause
I had to test it with SAW and to my big surprice its working with automation doing recording:D:D:D

I have know recorded 2 opera´s where I automated the singers mikrofones doing the performance, when finish all movements are performed:p
this mean I don´t have to run the hole show from the top afterwards as I use to:eek:

Bob, this is serius stuff. Thanks

Sebastian

bcorkery
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Sebastian,

Thanks for sharing this really great news.
I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these.

-Bill

Dave Labrecque
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I just want to share my new discovered time saver in Saw...
A week ago I got a Behringer BCF2000 to use with SAC, but ofcause
I had to test it with SAW and to my big surprice its working with automation doing recording:D:D:D

I have know recorded 2 opera´s where I automated the singers mikrofones doing the performance, when finish all movements are performed:p
this mean I don´t have to run the hole show from the top afterwards as I use to:eek:

Bob, this is serius stuff. Thanks

Sebastian

I wonder how the buffer settings affect the response time in terms of monitoring and actual write position.

I think for playback mixing, you hear the live, manual fader moves delayed by an amount corresponding to the buffer settings, but that the write positions are correct. Can anyone corroborate this -- and elucidate the write-during-recording question?

It would be good to know how important/not important the buffer settings are when writing automation during tracking.

Bob L
09-23-2008, 02:40 PM
It matters not when using low latency settings needed for live performance anyway.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
09-23-2008, 03:39 PM
It matters not when using low latency settings needed for live performance anyway.

Bob L

Hi Bob,

Not sure what you mean by "needed for live performance". This was simple tracking, not live mixing, if I understood correctly.

Maybe you mean it's better to monitor the recording with low latency to avoid the slap-back echo between the cans and the ambient sound?

The reason I thought to ask is that sometimes I have big buffers in live performance recording situations just "to play it safe". But... that's probably not necessary.

sebastiandybing
09-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Dave

My buffer settings is 512/4 when trackking,
I have not notice any delay doing fader ajustments.

I guess its because I am listning/reacting to the already delayed sound
through the Saw console...no problem.

Sebastian

Dave Labrecque
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Dave

My buffer settings is 512/4 when trackking,
I have not notice any delay doing fader ajustments.

I guess its because I am listning/reacting to the already delayed sound
through the Saw console...no problem.

Sebastian

Hmmm... I like to know for sure what's going on. It's the control freak in me. Maybe some tests are in order? Unless it's no biggie to you.

Naturally Digital
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Hmmm... I like to know for sure what's going on. It's the control freak in me. Maybe some tests are in order? Unless it's no biggie to you.Dave, sorry for butting in but I don't understand why you care... :confused:

You can't react fast enough with your finger on the fader, to be sample accurate anyway!

Last time I checked the fader slopes were processed live... That would create the biggest delay... if the slope was set large enough then there would be an audible delay before the fade would process. Of course, if your buffers were large then there would be a slight audible delay there also... The same as you get while mixing.

I'm assuming you're worried about where the automation lines are landing on the timeline... If I'm incorrect about that then please ignore me.

Dave Labrecque
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Dave, sorry for butting in but I don't understand why you care... :confused:

You can't react fast enough with your finger on the fader, to be sample accurate anyway!

Last time I checked the fader slopes were processed live... That would create the biggest delay... if the slope was set large enough then there would be an audible delay before the fade would process. Of course, if your buffers were large then there would be a slight audible delay there also... The same as you get while mixing.

I'm assuming you're worried about where the automation lines are landing on the timeline... If I'm incorrect about that then please ignore me.

Dave,

I'm not worrying about the automation entries arriving at the right place on the time line (unless that is an issue, but I'm guessing it's not) so much as the fact that the monitoring feedback loop may have latency in it -- as in the case of mixing -- wherein you don't hear the fader moves you make till a little while after you make them, and so you may not react properly as you "ride the fader".

Not a practical issue with low buffer settings, but sometimes I have to use higher settings (to accommodate my UAD-1's temperament, for example) and so it does become an issue.

Bob L
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Even 4 x 1024 buffer settings will give extremely realtime feel for fader moves and mutes and things like that.

Stop worrying. :)

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Even 4 x 1024 buffer settings will give extremely realtime feel for fader moves and mutes and things like that.

Stop worrying. :)

Bob L

Hmmm... not my experience. It's close, but...

Fine for non-critical stuff, but when you're working to specific time line events, it's not quite there. For me, anyway. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's my latency-causing plug-ins that exacerbate it for me?

sebastiandybing
09-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Dave, I am not sure how to test it objectiv, one way would be to
let a highspeed video camera zoom into my finger.
Then I could import the video to saw´s timeline and extract the audio
and sync the audio with saw´s recorded audio, then I should be able to
find the frame where I push the button and at the same time see where
the automation entry is:D.

Who cares, I already know the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese:o

Sebastian

Dave Labrecque
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Dave, I am not sure how to test it objectiv, one way would be to
let a highspeed video camera zoom into my finger.
Then I could import the video to saw´s timeline and extract the audio
and sync the audio with saw´s recorded audio, then I should be able to
find the frame where I push the button and at the same time see where
the automation entry is:D.

Who cares, I already know the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese:o

Sebastian

:D

How 'bout if you loop the output of SAW back in and SRP (in automation mode) while you push the mute button? Then compare the mute point in the recorded audio with the position of the mute automation you wrote? Be sure to account for the latency of your console and/or converters.