PDA

View Full Version : automation question

Scott P
09-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I know that different colors show what automation changes are happening, but some colors are duplicated and can mean a lot of things.

Is there any way to tell what specific change is? After several weeks I sometimes don't remember what I did and I would love to be able to hunt down what a certain automation change was short of the process of elimination.

Scott

Eric
09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
The colors represent the type of automation, the changes are represented by the slopes.

Bob L
09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
If you scrub the cursor back and forth across the automation data, you can see the controls change on the console module.

You may also right-click the Aut button and select any one of the filters to see only automation that matches the selected filter.

Bob L

Ian Alexander
09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
It is difficult to see what is changing if you don't have the correct part of the e mixer showing or if the automation is subtle. It would be nice to be able to point at, hover over, or click on an automation indication and ask, "What is this?" Figuring it out from right clicking the AUT button requires making the correct choice from about a hundred options. Kinda means you already have to know in order to find out.:o

Scott P
09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
That's the problem. Some of the automation changes are plug-ins or plug-in parameters. I would have to have all of the plugs open and looking at all of the parameters to find what's changing. Some are plug-in parameters for plugs that have been removed from the channel, so now there's nothing to "find", but I have no way of knowing that.

That's another question. Any way to make the plug automation delete when I delete a plug in for a channel? :D

As far as the filters, again, I could through a lot of filters to find what I'm looking for. :D

Scott :D:D

Dave Labrecque
09-23-2008, 03:36 PM
This sounds like a very valid request. So far as I know, the best thing you can do right now is...

1) Get to know what color means what, so you have a general idea of where to look for the specific parameter that's being altered.

2) Open up the Wide Mixer View (if you have it) and scrub over the mystery entry, watching for a changing parameter indicator.

2b) If it's plug-in automation, open all the plugs for that track and watch for the same thing while scrubbing over the entry.

Yeah, if you've removed the plug that created the automation, you may never find out what it was. :o

That said, this particular thing hasn't caused me enough grief to consider asking for a feature enhancement. FWIW.

Bob L
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I agree... the idea as is has not caused me any particular grief in the 8 years since SS was first released... although I do have the idea on the todo list for a popup automation info window that would actually chase and listout each automation move as you scrub across it... very similar to the controller info in the MWS.

In general... the color codes match the original shade colors... anything that is white is a general category... I have never found it very difficult to find what exact automation is controlling by using that basic association.

Bob L

Scott P
09-23-2008, 03:45 PM
It's not a huge problem. It just crops up ever once in a while and I thought that I would ask if there was a better way for me to find the entry. Most of the time I ask about a better way, Bob already has it covered.

As long as I know. :D

Scott

Dave Labrecque
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
...although I do have the idea on the todo list for a popup automation info window that would actually chase and listout each automation move as you scrub across it... very similar to the controller info in the MWS.

Careful, Pavlov. Yer gettin' us salivatin'. :)

UpTilDawn
09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Same for me..... I run into it now and then..... not a huge deal, but hard to chase down sometimes.

Cary B. Cornett
09-24-2008, 07:12 AM
I too like the idea of an automation list window that can be scrolled through.

Would that be a window showing automation just on the hot track, or could there be a mode with, say, a column for each selected track showing the automation for that track?

Bob L
09-24-2008, 07:49 AM
I am guessing it would function on the hot track just like the MWS controller display data.

Bob L