PDA

View Full Version : Further SACRemote Restrictions

William Bushnell
09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Bob,
Thanks for the enhancements in the SAC 1.2 update.

Is it in the plans to be able to restrict other areas on remotes, such as the file menu? For example, as it is now, with a session running on the host, closing or opening a session on a remote in effect shuts down SAC. (Ok, then don't do that!)

Not trying to find fault and I know you have many features you want to add. Perhaps I have become a little too paranoid. Maybe spent too many years working on computers and Novell networks, seeing how creative people can be. I've heard this one more than once. I don't know where that file went. I didn't do anything, it just happened!

I know you work with professional musicians but with some of the musicians around here, I would almost like to give them the equivalent of a dumb terminal. They would only be able to plug in their network cable, start their computer, start SACRemote, click "Activate TCP/IP Remote Mode", Enter Host Computer Name (to logon to the host) and uncheck "Activate TCP/IP Remote Mode" (to log off from the host). I'm thinking, let them screw up their own monitor but prevent them from going where they could disrupt anything on the host. Ok, I'm done. Anyway, thanks for listening and for a great product. I love it.

PS:
I know, use a little common sense. Don't let this type even close to a remote and there won't be a problem.

Bob L
09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Your PS is the ticket... giving a musician control of his own mix is not for everyone... use with discretion.

Bob L

DominicPerry
09-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I can't see a situation where you can refuse monitor mixes to selected 'difficult' band members.

I wouldn't think there's much value in letting a remote chose to load or close sessions. Where's the need? I would think that only the FoH or Mon guy needs this facility. Can't we just lose it from the remotes?

Dominic

Bob L
09-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Possibly... more and more restrictions will probably apply as we start to work in this way... after all... we are breaking new ground here... :)

I would still only allow monitor mix remote control to musicians that will train and that I can trust... I believe they will have to earn that right... after all... they cannot get that now elsewhere.

Bob L

DominicPerry
09-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Possibly... more and more restrictions will probably apply as we start to work in this way... after all... we are breaking new ground here... :)

I would still only allow monitor mix remote control to musicians that will train and that I can trust... I believe they will have to earn that right... after all... they cannot get that now elsewhere.

Bob L

Bob, fair point. But you know, as soon as you offer people a new thing they want the new thing +1.
True, they can't get that now, but as soon as they realise they can, they'll all want it, and then you have to take control.

Thanks for listening.

Dominic