PDA

View Full Version : BCF2000 multi template

mako
09-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Hello Bob - just wondering how things are going with your BCF2000 multi unit template.
I've just been trying to get 2 units to work together according to page 10 in the BCF manual (i.e. primary unit set to U4 and secondary unit set to S3 - with relevent midi cables connected).
Finally after much mucking about (SAC would consistently say "midi drivers not available" when they were loaded and should have been available.

Overcame by closing SAC and switching BCF off for at least a minute or more.
OK - now I have 2 units working together but operating the same faders etc.
I make the slave a different unit No. but same result.

Has anyone got this scenario working yet or does it need the multi template to actually drive more than 8 faders?

Thanks

mako

Bob L
09-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes... it requires the special templates and the special sysex file dumps for each unit.

None of this is a simple matter... it all gets very complex internally.

Bob L

mako
09-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Bob - I have the sys-ex files on both units but I suppose that once the multi template is done, each slave will get its own special sys-ex.

I have a festival this coming weekend but it can done on 16 to 20 channels so I'll use bank shift with just one unit if the template isn't in the near future.

Thanks again Bob.

mako

Bob L
09-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes, each unit will require its own sysex dump to set the internal midi channel codes different from each other so they can remain separate and link to the proper bank of faders when used together.

I still have work to do to finish the templates.

I suggest you try the navigation option to have the single unit chase the hot chan onscreen... then it will chase wherever you are without you having to bank switch around.

Bob L

mako
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
OK - thanks for your reply Bob.

Good luck :)

cheers

mako

Bob L
09-28-2008, 11:36 PM
I just placed the extended templates on the SAC site in the misc downloads section for up to 24 chans... 3 units.

Have fun... test them and let me know if they work... I wrote them blind since I no longer have a BCF2000 unit to test.

Bob L

mako
09-29-2008, 04:09 PM
My apologies Bob - I've only just seen your message - I'll get to it now.

Thank you

mako

mako
09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
OK - here's what's happening.

I sent sys-ex 9-16 to 2nd unit - loaded 16 channel BCF template.

Unit 2 operates as it should but on SAC faders 1 - 8.
Unit 1 doesn't move anything, but when I operate "on screen" SAC faders 1 - 8, the relevent BCF faders move.

However, I'm assuming your desired hookup is - both units plugged into USB ports and both set to U1. (no midi links)

Is this correct?

Just tried with Unit 1 only into USB and both units linked via midi cables and setup as per BCF manual - Page 10 . Master - U4, Slave S3.

Unit 1 operates perfectly - ch 1 - 8, but Unit 2 operates channels 1 -8 also.
Bank switching now works in banks of 16.

Thanks Bob

mako

Bob L
09-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Ok... make sure you are using the correct preset where you downloaded the sysex 9-16 file... and make sure that file got properly downloaded... use Midi-Ox or some other program than the Behringer program... which may not properly perform the sysex.

What should be happening is faders 1-8 are on midi chan 1 (0 in actual midi language)... and the second unit should be operating on midi chan 2 (1)... the sysex dumps should set that up properly... you can manually step thru the settings in the Behringer and make sure the dump is correct... the midi chan for all controls on the second unit should be chan 2.

I am not sure how you will have to connect and setup the units mode wise... both units must be connected on the in and out midi directions... but this must be delivered from the one computer connection... so you may have to merge midi out data and use a combination of midi in and thru to pass the signal both ways from both units.

Hopefully one of the midi modes in the Behringer manual will make it happen correctly.

Bob L

Bob L
09-29-2008, 06:47 PM
I just searched up the user manual for the Behringer and there is a mode combination that allows the two units to merge midi data thru the one usb connection... check the mode samples in the user guide.

You may also just want to test each unit by itself and make sure it is working correctly... with the proper setups, the first unit should only control the first 8 faders... but still bank switch 16 chans... the second unit should only control faders 9-16 by itself... but also bank switch 16 chans... also, controlling the faders from the screen should only move the corresponding chan faders on the units.... 1-8 on the first and 9-16 on the second... once that all works, then you might try the hookup for both as specified in the user manual.

Bob L

mako
09-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Bob - you're a genius - thank you so much.

Both are now working correctly.

This time I sent the sys-ex to unit 2 on channel 2 (via midi-ox as before) - the first dump I did was to ch.1 - it shouldn't have made a difference but it seems to have. (Sys-ex dumps are usually received on any nominated channel for "unit wide" use).

FYI - the setup is as per BCF2000 manual page 10.

Unit 1 on U4, unit 2 on S3 - midi leads from Unit 1 - Out A to unit 2 midi in.
Unit 2 midi out B (thru) to Unit 1 midi in.

Thanks again for your perserverance and dedication to the SAC/SAW world.

This is going to make lots of people very happy.

cheers

mako

Bob L
09-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the confirmation of the template.

Bob L

txshonk
09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
:) I just ebayed a 2nd BCF

I plan on running SAC the first time for a band on the 18th of next month.

mako
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Hello Bob - just a small thing I've come across.

If, for any reason, a BCF has it's connection interupted (power out or mode change) SAC will lock up and must be forcibly shut down.
When restarted, the BCF drivers are not available.

The only resolution to this is a complete OS restart.

It's probably more an OS/USB connection area, but something for people to be aware of if they're using BCF2000's.

Another thing I found was after a system power down, the 2nd BCF would revert to controlling 1 - 8 faders - making another sys-ex send necessary.

I think I've overcome this by sending the sys-ex, then saving the setup as a preset.
Seems to be an unusual step as far as sys-ex is concerned.

cheers

mako

Bob L
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
You must be careful with usb devices... when Windows does not see the device, it unloads the drivers... and that messes with any kind of pre-saved prefs... this is one of the things I dislike with firewire and usb.

Also... yes... you have to do the sysex and save the BCF as a preset and always make sure you are on the ciorrect preset... The last preset used should load when you turn the BCF on... You might consider saving the first as preset 1... then the second as preset 2... that way you will always know which is which when you power them up... or mark them clearly with labels.

Bob L